Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Streets And Transportation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Chino council approves $212,760 contingency increase for FY2024 street rehabilitation project ST241
Summary
The City Council approved a $212,760 contingency replenishment for the Fiscal Year 2024 local street rehabilitation project (ST241) to cover change orders including curb ramp work tied to the Old School House Museum reopening.
Get email alerts on the Streets And Transportation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Chino City Council on Jan. 7 authorized a $212,760 increase to contingency funds for the local street rehabilitation fiscal year 2024 project (ST241), raising the project contingency to $458,581. The motion was made by Councilman Flores, seconded by Councilman Comstock, and passed unanimously.
City staff said the concrete contract portion of the project includes construction of 67 curb ramps and 10 alley approaches citywide, and recent work tied to the Old School House Museum reopening required an unplanned change order. “The project scope under the concrete contract includes construction of 67 curb ramps and 10 alley approaches throughout the city,” said Michelle Henderson, Senior Engineer, during the presentation.
Why it matters: staff told the council the extra contingency is needed to cover typical unforeseen expenses and possible additional pavement reconstruction or ramp modifications required to meet the city’s accessible pedestrian facilities policy. The city awarded the concrete contract to CT and T Concrete Paving for $2,458,201.70 and had previously authorized the director of public works to approve change orders up to 10 percent of the contract amount (approximately $245,821).
Background and details: staff said the city negotiated a change order for curb ramps required at the Old School House Museum intersection to meet accessibility policy; that change order, executed under the public works director’s change-order authority on Nov. 2, 2024, totaled $212,759.80 and left the contingency nearly depleted. To restore available contingency for the remainder of the contract, staff recommended appropriating $212,760 from Measure I fund reserves and authorizing the city manager to execute necessary documents.
Council action and vote: the motion to appropriate funds and increase the contingency passed unanimously (motion: Councilman Flores; second: Councilman Comstock). No public comment was recorded on this item.
Next steps: with council approval, staff will replenish the contingency from Measure I reserves and continue to manage change orders through the contract’s established change-order authority.

