Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Child Welfare Custody topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Lenawee County judge extends juvenile-court jurisdiction, releases children to father and schedules Feb. 26 review

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

At a permanency planning review, the court kept two children under juvenile-court jurisdiction, released them to their father, Anthony Fox, ordered continued monitoring and DNA testing, and set a follow-up review for Feb. 26 at 1:30 p.m.

At a permanency planning review in Lenawee County Probate & Juvenile Court, the judge extended juvenile-court jurisdiction over two children, released them to their father, Anthony Fox, and set a review hearing for Feb. 26 at 1:30 p.m., while directing continued monitoring and completion of pending DNA testing.

The court made the decision after hearing from Eva Copas, a child welfare specialist, who told the court she had observed progress in the mother’s parenting and reported the children were doing well in their current routines. Copas said, "I would recommend that it's in the best interest for these children for the court to release jurisdiction of these children," while noting the department asked the court to maintain jurisdiction over the youngest child only because DNA testing to confirm paternity remained outstanding.

The recommendation followed testimony and documentary reports that the mother has attended recovery meetings and that two previously flagged drug screens were corrected or cleared. Copas told the court she had observed the oldest child doing well in school and the younger child—who has special needs—receiving care and support from family during visits. She also said the mother has a family support system and has been attending AA/NA meetings regularly.

Defense counsel and the child’s counsel told the court they believed the risk of harm had passed during the review period. Mother Heather Bowker testified she agreed to the proposed custody arrangement and said she would contact family members if she felt at risk of relapse. Father Anthony Fox testified he wanted physical custody and said he and the mother could coordinate a parenting-time schedule.

The judge said the goal of reunification remained appropriate but emphasized the limited length of the mother's sobriety. The court cited the pending criminal charges and the mother's pregnancy as factors warranting continued oversight. The judge told the parties that any substance use during pregnancy would be treated seriously by the court and "could potentially result in incarceration" to protect the child's health.

For now the court ordered the children remain in juvenile-court jurisdiction but released to Fox and noted the youngest child would be with another relative, identified in court as Valentino, when appropriate. The record indicates the children currently stay with their maternal grandmother during the week and with their father for the remainder of the week; the court acknowledged that arrangement is not legally guaranteed if jurisdiction were terminated.

The court directed the department to continue monitoring, including random drug screening or coordination with probation, and to proceed with DNA testing already scheduled; participants discussed a DNA appointment in late January with results expected roughly a month later. The next permanency-planning review is set for Feb. 26 at 1:30 p.m.

Court participants included attorney Carson Howard (guardian ad litem/attorney listed in the record), Sasha Thomas (counsel for the department), Eva Copas (child welfare specialist), Michael McFarland (attorney appearing in the record), mother Heather Bowker, father Anthony Fox, probation officer Cora Gibson (referenced), and court staff. No formal vote was taken; the judge issued the ruling from the bench.