Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Municipal Decisions Votes topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Seaford approves alley quitclaim, sewer planning grant, wastewater and parks contracts and business‑campus change order; residents press council over Pine St. "

6412085 · October 15, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Seaford Mayor and Council on Tuesday night unanimously approved a series of measures including a quitclaim deed to vacate part of Oak Street, a DNREC matching planning grant to fund CCTV inspections of sewer mains, professional services agreements for a wastewater treatment expansion and a new parks and recreation office, the sale of an unused compost screener, and a change order to extend work at the Western Sussex Business Campus.

Seaford Mayor and Council on Tuesday night unanimously approved a series of measures including a quitclaim deed to vacate part of Oak Street, a DNREC matching planning grant to fund CCTV inspections of sewer mains, professional services agreements for a wastewater treatment expansion and a new parks and recreation office, the sale of an unused compost screener, and a change order to extend work at the Western Sussex Business Campus.

The council also heard repeated public complaints about a single rental property at 331 North Pine Street, with residents saying ongoing parties, noise and disturbances have driven neighbors to move. Council members and the mayor said staff and public-safety leaders would meet immediately to review enforcement options.

The quitclaim deed will extinguish a 4,883‑square‑foot paper alley and convey that strip to Waverly Holdings; staff reported no utilities cross the area and recommended approval. The council approved the deed by motion from Councilwoman Stephanie Grasset, seconded by Councilman Orlando Holland, and it passed unanimously.

Council members approved Resolution R‑2025‑05 to apply for participation in the Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control Wastewater Matching Planning Grant program. The grant request covers up to $99,500 in work to hire a contractor to perform closed‑circuit television (CCTV) inspections of selected sewer mains to investigate infiltration and inflow. The resolution, moved by Councilman McQuillan and seconded by Councilman Holland, notes a required 50% local match of $49,750, which the council said is included in the city’s current budget. The resolution passed unanimously.

The council approved an agreement with the city engineer, George Miles Burke, for bidding, construction‑administration and inspection services for the wastewater treatment facility phase 1 expansion. The contract is budgeted as part of a loan previously authorized by the council; the motion was made by Councilman Quillen and seconded by Councilman Bradley and passed unanimously.

Council members also awarded an architectural services agreement to William Beyler Jr. Architect, Inc., to produce drawings and provide construction‑phase administration for the new Parks and Recreation office building. Staff said three firms were solicited and Beyler submitted the lowest quote. The council approved the contract on a motion from Councilwoman Grasset, seconded by Councilman Quillen. The motion passed unanimously.

The council accepted a single bid of $10,600 and awarded sale of an unused composting screener to Ronald Cross. Staff said the city had not composted for about five years and the equipment was surplus. The motion to award the bid was made by Councilman Quillen, seconded by Councilman Holland, and approved unanimously.

Finally, the council approved a change‑order proposal and funding plan for Phase 2 of the Western Sussex Business Campus. Staff said available project funds fell short of a proposed $283,350.35 change order, creating a gap of $130,006.63 that the city would cover from reserves to complete additional paving, stormwater tie‑ins, conduit installation and a 345‑foot extension of road infrastructure. Councilman Quillen moved the funding plan, Councilman Holland seconded, and the motion passed unanimously.

During public comment, Paul Sell read a letter from a neighbor who moved away and described years of disturbances at 331 North Pine Street, calling the property “a scourge” and saying the landlord’s rental license should be revoked. Jennifer Demiro, who said she lives at 322 North Pine Street with family members who work night shifts, said she has put her house on the market and called for cameras or stronger enforcement. “We have a right to live in peace on this block, but it’s not happening,” Demiro said.

Mayor McCoy responded that the mayor, city manager, chief of police and the code inspector would meet during the week to review the situation and pursue options. “I can promise you is after tonight, this week myself, our city manager, our chief of police [and] code inspector will get together and discuss this in greater detail,” the mayor said. He added that residents should not have to live in fear and apologized for their experience.

All formal measures brought before the council during the meeting were approved unanimously. Several informational department reports were delivered, including police and fire statistics, public works and electric updates, and Parks and Recreation programming notes. The council adjourned after routine liaison reports.