Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Comment Housing topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Wichita resident tells Sedgwick County commission she was "betrayed" after home was taken; clerk to forward testimony to Wichita

5882682 · October 2, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

A Wichita resident addressed the Sedgwick County commission during public comment, saying city actions left her homeless and asking for answers; the clerk said the testimony would be forwarded to Wichita city officials for follow-up.

A Wichita resident, identifying herself as Veil Strum of 326 N. Walnut, used the meeting's public-comment period to allege that her home had been taken and that city officials and others had not answered her requests for information.

Strum said she was temporarily staying with her daughter and returned to find her house “gone,” describing the loss as devastating and alleging that utility and property actions by "the central" had occurred without adequate explanation. She said the home had served as a safe place for neighborhood children and listed personal history of civic service, and said she had been placed in temporary housing that she deemed unsafe.

Clerk and commission staff told Strum the county does not administer housing code enforcement for the City of Wichita and that the commission would forward her testimony, based on the address she provided, to the appropriate Wichita city council member. The board then voted to receive and file public comment on the record.

No formal action was taken by the county; the clerk said she would forward the testimony to Wichita officials for follow-up.