Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Environmental Cleanup topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Council approves $139,733 contract to clean up city‑owned property; pallets to be ground and sent to Port of Stockton
Summary
Council authorized a $139,733 service agreement with California Waste Recovery Systems to remove buildings, grind pallets and prepare a city-owned site for reuse; the contract includes a $20,267 contingency and an estimated 40–60 day work window.
Get email alerts on the Environmental Cleanup topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Galt City Council voted 5–0 on Oct. 7 to authorize a $139,733 contract with California Waste Recovery Systems (CalWaste) to clean up a city‑owned property that has accumulated building materials and pallets.
The council also approved a contingency of $20,267 and authorized the public works director to execute amendments within that contingency. The resolution said the work includes asbestos and lead abatement on buildings, demolition of structures, grinding and hauling pallet material to energy plants in Stockton, and site fencing and well/septic retention for future reuse of the property.
CalWaste representative Jack Fiore told the council abatement permits had been applied for and, depending on permit timing, pallet grinding could begin within days. Fiore estimated work on the pallet pile and related operations could be completed in “a couple of months,” and the contract allows 60 days with staff saying the work could be done in about 40 days.
Why it matters: City staff said the parcel produced rental revenue for the city over several years and that pursuing the former tenant for recovery of costs was unlikely to yield sufficient return; staff recommended cleanup and re‑tenanting the property. Public works said the final site will be mostly vacant lot with the metal warehouse building retained and wells/septic preserved for future users; fence replacement is a separate next phase.
Contract details and finances: The approved service agreement is $139,733 with a council‑authorized contingency of $20,267 (total authorized not-to-exceed $160,000). The budget originally estimated $250,000; staff said the final cost is expected to be well under that estimate and the fence replacement is expected to remain within the approved budget.
Council and public comment: Resident Harry Wenzel urged transparency on revenue sharing and the split of proceeds for the pallet material; Mr. Fiore explained the city receives a credit from the energy plant per bone‑dry ton (the contractor charges by load or grinding hour and the city is credited by weight). City attorney/staff said the contract language and payment terms were reviewed and could be finalized in form by the city attorney prior to execution.
Outcome: Motion to approve the service agreement was moved and seconded; roll call votes were Vice Mayor Sandhu — Aye; Council Member Pratten — Aye; Council Member Reid — Aye; Council Member Rodriguez — Aye; Mayor Farmer — Yes. The motion passed 5–0.
Ending: CalWaste expects to start work once hazardous‑materials abatement permits clear (a 14‑day window on the permit application was noted) and said pallets will be ground and shipped to the Port of Stockton for use as fuel at an energy facility.

