Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Child Care topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Department says childcare enrollment pause lifted after budget actions; governor proposes $15M one‑time for Idaho Child Care Program

2490712 · February 20, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Director Alex Adams told lawmakers the Idaho Child Care Program briefly paused new enrollment to live within last year’s appropriation, then resumed in January after corrective actions; the governor recommended $15 million one‑time installments and the department requested $4.2 million ongoing for ICCP.

The Joint Finance and Appropriations Committee heard Feb. 20 about changes to Idaho’s childcare subsidy program and a governor recommendation to use available federal block‑grant funding for one‑time investments.

Department of Health and Welfare Director Alex Adams told the committee the Idaho Child Care Program (ICCP) nearly required an extra $15.4 million to treat the program as an entitlement last year. Adams said the department instead tightened enrollment to live within the Legislature’s appropriation, paused new enrollment in late 2024, and then began enrolling again in January after corrective actions.

Why it matters: Adams told lawmakers that ICCP is not an entitlement in Idaho, so when program demand and prior administrative actions (changes to eligibility rule, lower co‑pays and higher local market rates) pushed spending beyond the legislative appropriation, the department paused enrollment to avoid a supplemental. He said, “Last year when I started, I found myself at a crossroads… I chose the latter,” meaning the department chose to live within the budget rather than seek a supplemental that would have required pausing enrollment for thousands of families.

Key figures and proposals: Adams said the department spent $52.7 million on ICCP in the prior year and that treating the program as an entitlement would have required approximately $68.2 million — a gap of about $15.4 million. The governor’s recommendation includes $15 million one‑time installments (out of an approximately $45 million available federal child‑care block‑grant carryover) split over three years, and the agency also included a $4.2 million ongoing request for ICCP.

Program details and protections: Adams said the department attempted to preserve benefit continuity where possible, keeping foster youth, disabled children and homeless children enrolled during the pause. He noted roughly 6,000 families were in the program at the time and that lifting the pause in January allowed re‑enrollment to resume.

Committee exchange and oversight: Senators and representatives asked for additional details on the corrective actions, past rule changes and what the reorganization to an Early Learning and Development division means for program oversight. Director Adams and division administrator Lisonbee Tate said staff with legal and programmatic backgrounds were assigned to provide closer oversight and to correct longstanding program management issues. Adams said the reorganization — moving ICCP and related programs under Early Learning and Development — was part of that approach.

Ending: Committee members indicated they will continue oversight of ICCP funding decisions and requested follow‑up details; the governor’s proposed one‑time installations will be considered during budget‑setting activity.