Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Parks Redevelopment topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Port St. Joe commission pauses sale of Field of Dreams property after public debate and private offer

6441136 · October 22, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

A proposal to sell about 3 acres of the city's Field of Dreams property drew extensive discussion at the Oct. 7 Port St. Joe City Commission meeting. A private offer and public concerns prompted the commission to table the matter for further review and keep the item on future agendas.

Port St. Joe's City Commission on Oct. 7 paused consideration of a private offer to buy roughly 3 acres of the Field of Dreams property after extended public comment and commissioner debate.

The City Commission heard from a representative for Liberty Networks, who presented an offer described as seed money to help the long-delayed recreation project move forward. Denise Vickers of Keller Way of Success Realty, representing Liberty Networks, said the company views the purchase as "seed money that will help you get the Field of Dreams going" and described the offer as "low impact" with negotiable siting within the larger parcel. Jeff Frey of PEA Engineering said Liberty Networks was also prepared to donate $50,000 toward initial work.

Commissioners and members of the public raised multiple concerns, including the long history of promises about the Field of Dreams, the effect of selling any portion of the 57-acre parcel given wetlands and flood-zone limitations, and whether proceeds would be protected for the park's development. Commissioner Lowry urged that any proceeds be escrowed and used only for the Field of Dreams project; Commissioner Hoffman and others pressed for a formal plan and cost estimate before making a decision.

City staff, commissioners and several residents described a history of prior commitments, county involvement and grant money linked to the property. Residents and speakers urged caution: Robert Branch and others said significant prior deposits and development work had been tied to the parcel, and Deborah May and other members of the public warned that changing the parcel now could undermine long-standing plans.

The commission discussed multiple procedural paths: putting the property out for a public solicitation of offers, requiring escrow language that restricts use of proceeds to the recreation project, or not selling at all. Commissioners considered both the potential benefit of seed money to attract grants and the risk that selling any part of the donated acreage would jeopardize the larger plan.

After extended discussion and public comment, a commissioner moved to table the matter for further study and to keep it on the commission agenda at every meeting until a decision is reached. The motion was seconded and the commission voted to table the proposal; the minutes record that the commission will continue to consider the issue at future meetings.

The City did not adopt any sale or conveyance at the meeting; commissioners directed staff to pursue additional due diligence, to solicit engineering and cost estimates for the Field of Dreams master plan, and to keep the recorded offers and negotiations on the agenda for follow-up.

Commissioners and members of the public said they want clearer documentation from Saint Joe Company and from county records about prior donations, deed restrictions and any interlocal commitments before a final decision is made. Several speakers asked the city attorney to obtain written confirmation from St. Joe Company about whether small disposals of acreage would be allowed under the original deed or gift conditions.