Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Lagoon Enhancement topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

SANDAG reports 30% design complete for Buena Vista Lagoon enhancement; funding gap delays full design

5827573 · September 25, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Buena Vista Lagoon Joint Powers Committee received an update Sept. 25 from the San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) reporting that 30% of design for the Buena Vista Lagoon Enhancement Project is complete but that funding is needed to advance to formal 65% and full design.

The Buena Vista Lagoon Joint Powers Committee heard an update Sept. 25 from the San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) on technical studies and design progress for the Buena Vista Lagoon Enhancement Project.

Lauren Lee, regional associate planner with SANDAG, told the committee the project team has completed technical investigations — including topography, geotechnical sampling and a 2022 vegetation update — and is finalizing 30% design work. “We are finalizing 30% currently,” Lee said, and the team is beginning work to refine inputs toward a 65% design.

The 65% design effort will incorporate feedback from landowners, resource agencies and the cities of Oceanside and Carlsbad. Lee said refinements include adjusted habitat layouts in the Railroad and Coast Highway basins, maintaining offsets from private property, designing bridges to meet local standards and considering fish access in bridge designs. City staff have also asked the project team to consider drainage improvements along Carlsbad Boulevard and to avoid precluding existing or planned trails.

Project funding remains incomplete. Lee said SANDAG is pursuing a federal earmark and is pursuing state grant opportunities; she also said SANDAG staff are working on a proposal to the Wildlife Conservation Board (Proposition 4) and other grant sources. Lee described the remaining costs as: roughly $3 million needed to reach 65% design and about $6 million to reach full design and permitting, depending on the final scope. She said the team has received about $3 million so far (including roughly $1 million from California Department of Fish and Wildlife via Proposition 50) but that additional funding is needed.

Council member Shin asked whether a forthcoming federal earmark would be sufficient to reach 65% design. Lee said that would depend on the amount and terms of any award. She also said the project team is coordinating with Caltrans and North County Transit District on longer-term infrastructure questions, including an eventual I-5/State Route 78 interchange, but said timing and scope for those larger transportation projects are uncertain.

Committee members and staff noted the complexity of coordinating across many agencies. One committee member thanked Mayor Sanchez and SANDAG staff for organizing stakeholders and taking a lead on coordination. Lee cautioned that reaching 65% design does not itself make the project shovel-ready: further final design, permitting and funding would be needed to construct the project.

Next steps outlined by SANDAG include completing the remainder of the 30% materials, advancing a 65% design memo if funding is secured, and continuing coordination with cities, resource agencies and landowners.

Votes at the meeting did not directly affect the SANDAG project; the committee received the presentation as an informal report.