Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Fire Department Updates topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Hartford Fire Department cites new recruits, apparatus deliveries and accreditation; outlines replacement needs
Summary
At a Sept. 11 Quality of Life and Public Safety Committee meeting, Fire Chief Cheek Barco reported a recruit graduation, two prebuilt apparatus taken into possession, reaccreditation for five years, several recent fires with displacements and the department's multi-year apparatus and firehouse replacement needs.
Get email alerts on the Fire Department Updates topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Chief Cheek Barco of the Hartford Fire Department told the City Council Quality of Life and Public Safety Committee on Sept. 11 that the department recently graduated a recruit academy class, took possession of two prebuilt apparatus, and earned reaccreditation for five years.
Barco said the department held a promotion and graduation ceremony the prior Friday. He reported 10 promotees — including two captains, three lieutenants and five drivers — and that 24 probationary firefighters completed the recruit academy. Barco also provided a demographic breakdown on the recruit class in his slides and described the department's planned succession and firehouse renovation work.
Barco said the department received two prebuilt apparatus from a company he identified as Bulldog and that the vehicles were in the equipment maintenance division for modifications and would be on the road within one to two weeks. He said the department was accredited again for five years after appearing before the Commissioner of Public Safety Excellence in Denver and noted the city’s apparatus replacement plan could total about $11,000,000 over seven years, pending continued city funding.
The chief outlined recent significant fires: a six-unit apartment at 78 Sterling Street that displaced six people and was listed as having an undetermined cause; a single-family dwelling listed in his slides as "15 Shelter's Place" that he said caused four deaths and five injuries and remains under investigation; and a six-unit apartment at 71 South Whitney Street that displaced 13 people and whose cause was also listed as undetermined.
Barco summarized fire-prevention and community-engagement activity: his presentation said department staff and partners provided outreach to 832 adults and 823 children (1,655 people total); installed 24 smoke alarms and seven carbon monoxide detectors; installed four car seats; and relocated nine families (25 adults and 11 children, or 36 people). He described Hartford’s participation in the American Red Cross "Sound the Alarm" program and ongoing NRZ (neighborhood) engagement.
On youth and training programs, Barco described an explorer program and cadet ride-time arrangements. He reported four fire cadets had completed essential skills; officers and cadets continue hands-on training such as SCBA donning and hose operations. During questions, Councilman T.J. Clark asked about housing for displaced residents and whether Narcan had been administered on calls; Barco said the department connects displaced people with the Red Cross for short-term stays and that he would follow up with his special services division and provide Narcan administration numbers by email.
Barco also reviewed response metrics included on the department’s public dashboard. He said a 100% response rate from the prior year dropped to about 77% in July and August and that the department continues to emphasize response-time compliance. He pointed the committee to an online incident dashboard that breaks out incidents and EMS calls by neighborhood; his presentation identified Asylum Hill, Downtown, Clay Arsenal and Frog Hollow among the neighborhoods with the most calls in August.
The committee did not take action on the presentation. Councilman Clark thanked Barco and requested the follow-up information on temporary housing status and Narcan administrations; Barco agreed to follow up by email.

