Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Safety Communications topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Commission approves expansion of Phase 3 to add 120–130 towers, department says timeline shortened to 3–4 years
Summary
The commission approved a revision in budget, funding and scope to use the previously selected contractor Motorola to complete the final 120–130 towers in Phase 3 of the Tennessee Advanced Communications Network; the Department of Safety said the work could be cut from an eight-year span to three to four years.
Get email alerts on the Public Safety Communications topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The State Building Commission on Sept. 11 approved a revision in project budget, funding and scope to allow the Department of Safety to use a previously selected contractor, Motorola, to complete the final Phase 3 buildout of the Tennessee Advanced Communications Network.
Department of Safety Commissioner Jeff Long told the commission the Phase 3 work will add roughly 120 to 130 towers and other facilities to expand radio communications for first responders in locations not included in earlier phases. Long said the department is requesting use of Motorola to complete the remaining scope to “expedite the project completion schedule in the interest of public safety.” He added that he had met with Motorola’s president and that the company had committed to shortening the buildout from an eight-year schedule to “a 3 to 4 years” timeline.
Commission members asked for clarification on timing; Commissioner Bryson asked when the buildout would be completed and Long replied that Motorola had promised the shorter timeline. After a motion and second, the commission voted unanimously to approve the revision; roll call showed Speaker Sexton, Treasurer Lillard, Commissioner Bryson and Comptroller Mumpower voting aye.
The action approved at the meeting permits the department to revise the budget, funding and scope and to utilize the previously selected contractor to complete Phase 3. The department characterized the change as intended to expedite completion for public-safety benefit; the commission did not provide additional conditions at the meeting.
Provenance: The item was presented by Commissioner Jeff Long and concluded with a unanimous roll-call vote approving the scope and contractor change.
