Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Real Estate Sale topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Richmond Council delays sale of Henrico parcel, directs staff to solicit public bids

5739831 · September 9, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Council continued consideration of ordinance 20-25-1-80 — a proposed conveyance of a small city-owned parcel at 8790 Strath Road (in Henrico County) — to the November 10 council meeting and instructed staff to solicit competitive bids after residents raised concerns the listed price was too low.

The Richmond City Council voted to continue action on ordinance 20-25-1-80, which would convey city-owned property at 8790 Strath Road (a parcel located in Henrico County) so the city can solicit competitive bids and allow broader public notice and review.

Residents and council members questioned whether the unsolicited offer under consideration represented fair market value. Tyrese Johnson, who spoke in opposition during the consent-agenda public hearing, urged the council to “allow for a process that honors both the spirit and the letter of the ordinances previously enacted” and asked for a chance to submit a higher bid. Johnson cited city ordinances intended to guarantee fairness and transparency in surplus property sales.

Sharon Ebert, deputy chief administrative officer for planning and economic development, told council members the parcel had been acquired long ago by the Department of Utilities and that an unsolicited offer had been received from an adjacent homeowner who wanted to use the lot as a side yard. Ebert said the parcel is adjacent to high-power lines and that the offered amount was slightly above the assessed value.

Council members pressed for a consistent policy. Councilman Breton moved to continue the item while staff posts a public solicitation; Councilwoman Aberbacher and other members supported the continuance so the property could be marketed publicly. The council set a November 10 date for reconsideration to allow a 60-day bid window and additional vetting.

The motion to continue carried. Council members said they will work with administration to develop a standard process for disposing of surplus property so similar sales are handled uniformly in the future.