Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Surplus Property Sale topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council delays sale of Henrico-adjacent parcel after public questions about price and process

5739827 · September 8, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Council voted to continue consideration of the proposed conveyance of a nearly nine-tenths-acre parcel in Henrico County (ordinance 20-25-180) to allow staff time to solicit competitive bids and provide additional valuation information after public commenters argued the listed price and process were insufficiently transparent.

The Richmond City Council voted to continue consideration of ordinance 20-25-180, a proposed conveyance of a nearly nine-tenths-acre parcel located at or described as 8790 Strath Road in Henrico County, to the Monday, Nov. 10 council meeting so the city could solicit broader bids and provide more detail on valuation.

Public concern and request for fairness. Tyrese Johnson testified in opposition and asked the council to continue the sale so the city could allow higher bids. Johnson said the parcel (nearly 0.9 acre) had been proposed for conveyance for a sum he characterized as $6,500 and argued the city's process had not offered an adequate competitive process to realize fair market value.

Administration explanation. Sharon Ebert, Deputy CAO for planning and economic development, said the Department of Utilities had bought the parcel years earlier and that the city had received an unsolicited offer from an adjacent property owner who intends to use the lot as side yard space. Ebert said the city code allows unsolicited offers and that council could, if it wished, put the parcel out for public solicitation.

Council action. Councilman Britton moved to continue the item to allow time to put the property out to bid; Councilmember Auerbacher seconded. The motion to continue the ordinance to Nov. 10 passed on a roll-call vote.

Clarifying facts. City staff told council they could put the parcel out for solicitation in about 60 days and recommended a Nov. 10 continuance to allow a formal public solicitation and bidding period.

Ending: Council members said they would review the city's practice for handling unsolicited offers and consider whether a consistent, codified approach to surplus land conveyances is needed across districts.