Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Emergency Housing Vouchers topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Contra Costa housing authority warns early sunset of Emergency Housing Vouchers could rehouse hundreds back into homelessness

5739741 · September 9, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Staff told commissioners that early termination of HUD's Emergency Housing Voucher program and federal funding shortfalls could leave hundreds without assistance; the authority currently reports 193 EHV families (274 people) and projects funding through about December 2026 under current assumptions.

Contra Costa County Housing Authority staff told commissioners Tuesday that the federal Emergency Housing Voucher (EHV) program — originally funded as a one-time pool under pandemic-related appropriations — is being sunsetted earlier than initially expected and that the authority faces funding uncertainty for relocating EHV recipients into ongoing voucher funding.

Staff said the authority received 197 EHV vouchers in May 2021, later adjusted to 201 nationally, and that local EHV caseloads now include 193 families with 274 people. An additional 48 families who moved from neighboring jurisdictions account for roughly 68 more people living in the county. "The program was initially scheduled to be funded through 2030 and with program expenditures allowed through 2035," Joseph said; staff originally calculated available funding through March 2027 but now estimate available funding may run to December 2026 under current cost trends.

The authority reported it issued 300 regular vouchers recently to households on its waiting list; transferring EHV households into the ongoing voucher program could require reallocating vouchers currently issued to those 300 households. Staff also said HUD recaptured about $7,000,000 in reserves from the authority, money that would have extended EHV support, and that national funding shortfalls and HUD's accounting practices have complicated renewal funding nationwide.

Staff described the potential scale of displacement if the authority cannot secure additional funds: "To put this in context...this might put 347 people back out on the street," Joseph said, referencing countywide homelessness-reduction progress. Commissioners asked about timelines for federal budget and funding details; staff said final federal budget action and HUD funding notices would determine their options and that meaningful clarity could come in December or later, with worst-case impacts unfolding over several months rather than immediately.

A public commenter said neighboring Alameda County had already notified some families their vouchers could end in November. The board voted unanimously to accept the report and asked staff to return with updates.