Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the School Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Police evacuate and search school after telephone threat; officials to debrief and follow up
Summary
A telephone threat prompted an evacuation and search at a Petersburg school; officials reported a rapid law-enforcement response, no suspect located, and an active investigation.
Get email alerts on the School Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
School and borough officials told the assembly on Sept. 2 that a telephone threat last week prompted a rapid law-enforcement response, an evacuation and a building search; no suspect has been located and there is "no current indication of an ongoing threat," officials said.
Petersburg School District Superintendent (Miss) Taylor said officers responded "roughly a minute to a minute and a half" from the time a call reached dispatch and that eight or nine law-enforcement officers worked collectively to secure the building. "It's nice to know how quickly law enforcement can respond to situations," Taylor said, and she said stakeholders would meet the following day to review the response and identify strengths and gaps in practice.
Borough Manager Giesburg confirmed the response: "Out of abundance of caution, the school was evacuated and law enforcement conducted a thorough search of the premises. No suspect was located and there's no current indication of an ongoing threat," he said, while adding the investigation remains active as officers work to identify the source of the call.
The assembly publicly thanked the Petersburg Police Department and partnering agencies for the response. Officials said a stakeholder debrief will address notification protocols and communication improvements after the incident.
All quotes and attributions are taken from the meeting transcript and limited to the speakers listed.

