Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Land Management topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
San Clemente council directs public review for 1832 N. El Camino Real site; beaches and parks to solicit ideas
Summary
Council received staff report on a city-owned lot at 1832 N. El Camino Real, discussed legal constraints and possible temporary uses, and voted to route public input through the beaches and parks subcommittee for recommendations.
Get email alerts on the Public Land Management topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The San Clemente City Council on Sept. 2 received a staff briefing on the history and potential uses of a city-owned parcel at 1832 North El Camino Real and directed staff to seek public input through the city’s beaches and parks process.
Adam Ottamian, community development director, said the parcel was acquired by the city by eminent domain in 1995 for storm-drain improvements and public parking and that, because the acquisition predated Feb. 2007, the property is not strictly limited to its original uses under state case law. “The site can be used for any public purpose, including economic development, without a new resolution of necessity,” Ottamian said, but he noted the Surplus Lands Act would apply if the city seeks to dispose of or lease the parcel for more than 15 years.
The council discussed options including a public parking facility, temporary event space for markets and cultural programming, a seasonal amenity (such as a pop-up ice rink), and mixed-use development. Ottamian said the parcel will be included in a forthcoming real estate asset management plan that staff expects to bring to council in early 2026.
Several residents and long-time former officials urged creative interim uses rather than permanent paving: Amanda Quintanilla presented earlier design concepts that included bike lanes, EV charging and planting areas and asked the council to consider alternatives the Coastal Commission had previously noted. Former council member Wayne Eggleston warned the council that the California Coastal Commission has historically treated the site as an entrance to the city and has objected to proposals that block public ocean views.
Council members favored keeping the lot open and using it for temporary, low‑cost programming but reserved the option to convert it to parking if future demand warrants it. Councilmember Rick Sproul suggested a civic design competition or public survey; several council members said the parcel’s view corridor and flexibility argued against permanent structures.
A substitute motion to route public engagement through the beaches and parks committee and to solicit public ideas carried 4‑1. Staff said the parcel will remain available for OCTA staging for about six to nine months while OCTA works on a catchment wall, and staff reiterated that the city is preparing a broader property-management plan.

