Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Capital Budget And Streets topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Port Arthur reviews $69 million capital draft; council presses for faster street work and contractor outreach

5682434 · August 26, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Port Arthur City Council held a special budget workshop on Aug. 26, 2025, to review a draft capital improvement program that city staff said totals about $69 million and that includes a proposed $27 million streets program and a placeholder of about $41 million for a proposed recreation center.

Port Arthur City Council held a special budget workshop on Aug. 26, 2025, to review a draft capital improvement program that city staff said totals about $69 million and that includes a proposed $27 million streets program and a placeholder of about $41 million for a proposed recreation center.

Council members said residents continue to complain about street conditions and pressed staff for quicker delivery, more contractor outreach and clearer district-by-district accounting for street projects. City staff described procurement strategies — including using BuyBoard, bundling nearby streets into larger work packages and using existing contractor lists — and said the full draft budget will be posted on the city website this week as required by the local government code.

The workshop focused on the capital portion of the draft budget (excluding water and wastewater funds), procurement and project delivery. City staff described capital funding sources as previous and new bonds, grants, transfers and previously approved restricted projects that remain unfinished. On specifics, staff said the draft shows $27 million proposed for streets work in fiscal 2025–26 and identified a $41 million placeholder figure for a future recreation center on Ninth Avenue, with an initial $1.25 million projected for land acquisition, needs assessment and early design.

Council member Bay Lewis pressed staff on contractor shortages and bidding: "Can we what what are we doing about appealing to contractors to get them to bid?" Lewis said residents are frustrated and cited recent vehicle damage as an example of deteriorated streets. City staff responded that procurement and engineering are working together to increase the number of projects going to BuyBoard and to bundle nearby streets so a contractor would have multiple contiguous jobs and be more likely to deploy crews.

Multiple council members urged clearer, district-level reporting. Council member Doucette and Councilman McKinlaw both said they want line-by-line departmental review in upcoming workshops so council members can see increases and decreases from prior years. One council speaker summarized a district breakdown from the draft: roughly $9.5 million for District 1, $4.8 million for District 2, $7.5 million for District 3 and $5.0 million for District 4, and said that level of detail is necessary for accountability. City staff said they will provide more granular project- and department-level detail in subsequent workshops.

Staff announced several related items: an RFP already issued for a third-party debt collection vendor to pursue delinquent accounts across departments; a planned purchase of project-management software to track capital projects from design to completion; a budgeted position for a marketing and communications director; and a special workshop devoted to the utility fund. Staff also said the full draft budget will be posted on the city's website on Wednesday under the requirements of the local government code, and that the council will receive a general-fund workshop on Sept. 9.

Council members questioned the large placeholder for the recreation center, and staff clarified the $41 million figure is largely a placeholder based on comparable projects; the city is projecting an initial $1.25 million to begin land acquisition and design, and the true project cost will be refined after architectural design.

On procurement and delivery, staff described efforts to vet and bundle contracts so contractors would have multi-street packages. "So these are the list that we have, and we have the cost attached to them already," staff said when describing the proposed streets lists and estimates. Council members reiterated they want visible, consistent street work across all districts rather than piecemeal progress.

The meeting also included several operational requests raised by council members: a proposed quick-response vehicle for the fire department to reduce wear on streets caused by large fire engines, a compliance or grant officer position to help pursue outside funds, and better use of membership resources (for example, posting job openings on Texas Municipal League and economic development sites). City staff said some positions and software are included in the draft budget, and that a more detailed departmental presentation will follow.

The workshop closed with a motion to adjourn that was seconded and approved by voice vote; staff said they will provide the council with a breakdown of the $18 million in certificates of obligation and will post the capital and special-fund documents online in advance of the general-fund workshop.

The council did not take formal votes on budget adoption during the workshop; the session was informational and staff emphasized that further departmental hearings and possible line-item changes will follow before final adoption.