Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Del Amo Bridge topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents press council on Del Amo Boulevard bridge funding as council weighs Southeast Gateway rail planning

5588959 · August 15, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Residents urged the council to prioritize the Del Amo Boulevard/Coyote Creek bridge project, warning that proposals to extend a regional Metro line could require redesign and delay. City staff confirmed the city has $5 million in federal funds and that an additional $5 million has been requested.

Residents at the Aug. 14 public comment period urged the Cerritos City Council to prioritize the Del Amo Boulevard bridge project over potential rail expansion tied to the Southeast Gateway line, and the council and staff responded with a funding update.

David Pyleman (appearing as David Pileman in the transcript) told the council he was worried a Metro Southeast Gateway line extension into Cerritos could require the bridge project to be redesigned if rail service continued past Del Amo Boulevard. He said he and his wife had been promised completion by 2024 and warned that rail expansion could "stall the bridge project." Pyleman asked the council for an update on federal funding.

Mayor Frank Yokoyama and City Manager Robert Lopez responded during the meeting. Yokoyama said the city had received $5 million secured with help from former Congresswoman Michelle Steele and that Congressman Derek Tran had submitted a request for an additional $5 million. City Manager Lopez confirmed the city had the $5 million and that those dollars are earmarked for construction and being set aside for the project; he said staff would work with appropriate agencies to apply the funds when construction is ready. "The funds are earmarked specifically for construction," Lopez said.

Council members said they would continue to be transparent with residents about the Del Amo project and regional planning discussions. Lopez and councilmembers noted that continued Metro planning could change project requirements; the council directed staff to keep residents informed as federal funding and rail planning progress.