Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Arts And Culture topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Carmel International Film Festival founder previews October program to council, says tickets on sale
Summary
Lawrence Rek, representing the Carmel International Film Festival, described the October schedule, guest filmmakers and the festival's ties to Carmel's early cinema history; tickets will be available at CFest.com and screenings will be at the Golden Bough Theatre.
Get email alerts on the Arts And Culture topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Lawrence Rek, director and producer leading the revived Carmel International Film Festival, briefed the City Council Aug. 5 on the festival's October schedule and local programming.
Rek told councilmembers that the festival will present a range of international and regional films at the Golden Bough Theatre, including a new film about the Monterey Marine Sanctuary narrated by Clint Eastwood and a Ukrainian documentary whose filmmaker will attend. He said notable guests include Dana Powell and filmmakers connected to Ray Romano, and that the festival will showcase films by local, world-recognized contributors such as composer Mark Mancina.
Rek reviewed the festival's history and asserted that Carmel hosted early international film screenings; he said the festival previously drew as many as 24,000 attendees in 2017 before it was discontinued and that he underwrote a scaled revival last year with about $50,000 in private funding. Rek asked the community to support the reconstituted festival and identified the event as a way to showcase Carmel's arts identity and to help local businesses.
Councilmembers asked logistical questions about dates, venues and programming. Rek confirmed screenings will be at the Golden Bough Theatre and that ticket prices rise on Sept. 1; the festival website is cifest.com, he said.
No formal city action was taken; Rek was thanked by the mayor and council for the update.

