Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Works topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Commissioners approve closure of 139-foot section of Dover Farm Road right-of-way at petition of Dover family

5596055 · August 18, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Following a public hearing with no public speakers, Wake County commissioners voted to close a 139-foot section of the Dover Farm Road right-of-way (SR 1350) at the end of the road, after the state abandoned the segment from the state-maintained system earlier this year.

The Wake County Board of Commissioners on Aug. 18 voted to close a 139‑foot section of the public right‑of‑way at the end of Dover Farm Road (SR 1350), following a petition by members of the Dover family.

Planning staffer Keith Langford explained the request: the Dover family sought closure of the small segment to secure property access and address problems with trespassing at the end of the road. Langford said seven family-owned parcels abut the segment and the owners signed the petition for abandonment. The North Carolina Board of Transportation approved removal of the segment from the state-maintained road system at its March 6, 2025 meeting; the state abandonment left the county to hold a public hearing and decide on closing the county right‑of‑way.

Langford told commissioners the closure would not deny anyone a reasonable means of ingress or egress, the county has no financial obligation to maintain the abandoned segment and owners of the family lots will maintain the abandoned portion pursuant to private easements. No public speakers signed up and the county received no online comments on the item.

The board adopted a resolution declaring intent at its July 7 meeting and voted on Aug. 18 to approve the closure; commissioners moved and seconded the motion and approved it by voice vote. County staff will execute the necessary closure documents and the property owners will assume maintenance responsibility for the abandoned segment.

Langford noted the item had unique advertising requirements and a multilevel DOT review prior to the county action. The county’s transportation plan does not show this road segment for future extension, staff said.

The action follows state and local procedures for road abandonment and right‑of‑way closure and will be reflected in county maintenance and property records.