Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Small Business Regulation topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council forms ad hoc committee to review food truck rules after public concerns about clarity and enforcement

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

After weeks of enforcement questions and public testimony, the council directed staff to form a two‑member ad hoc committee (Councilmembers Bausch and Gregory) to evaluate permitting, generator/shade rules, commissary requirements and enforcement; motion passed 4–1.

The Paso Robles City Council on Aug. 5 directed staff to assemble an ad hoc committee to review the city—s food truck regulations, permitting processes and enforcement practices following considerable public comment from local food-truck operators and brick‑and‑mortar restaurant owners.

Planning staff presented an overview of the city—s current approach: mobile food vendors must secure a San Luis Obispo County mobile food facility permit (covering food safety and commissary arrangements), then apply for a city business license and acknowledge operational conditions under Title 21. Staff described four tiers in the municipal code for mobile vendors — short‑term (up to seven days), medium‑term (over seven days up to one year), long‑term (one year or more, requiring site plan approval) and multi‑truck courts (CUP) — and said the city had struggled to enforce the seven‑day cutoff and operational standards consistently.

Planner Piper Smith highlighted operational guidelines staff regularly applies: vendors must operate on private property with property‑owner written approval, be accessory to a permanent commercial business (not on vacant lots), locate on paved surfaces (exceptions limited), remove litter within a 25‑foot perimeter, not discharge liquids on site, and not use temporary shade structures per the current staff interpretation. Staff also noted noise concerns where conventional generators can exceed commercial noise limits and that county health permits require restroom access within 200 feet for operations of one hour or more.

Public testimony included food‑truck owners who said they did not receive timely outreach and wanted clear, accessible guidance and permitting instructions; brick‑and‑mortar owners who asked for protections against unfair competition; parents and residents who raised safety concerns near schools and high‑traffic locations; and public‑health commenters who emphasized adherence to state and county food‑safety standards.

After discussion, the council voted to create an ad hoc committee composed of Councilmembers John Bausch and Chris Gregory to gather more input and return recommendations to full council within a limited period (council discussion indicated a six‑month maximum). Vote: Bausch, aye; Gregory, aye; Bridal, no; Strong, aye; Mayor Hammond, aye (4–1).

Staff said in the meantime it will continue to enforce existing requirements and educate vendors. The police department described prior outreach and cited efforts to notify food‑truck operators; staff also said a new food‑truck web page and an on‑site permit to carry during operations had been created to improve clarity.

Council instructed staff to post meeting notices for the ad hoc, provide translation services as needed, and invite operators, restaurants, public‑health staff and other stakeholders to participate in the committee—s review.