Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Historic Preservation topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Lafayette City waives 60-day historic demolition delay for 9 North 10th Street after safety concerns

6491888 · October 21, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Lafayette City board voted to waive the 60-day waiting period for demolition of a historically contributing house at 9 North 10th Street, citing recent fires and squatters that posed safety hazards.

LAFAYETTE — The Lafayette City board voted to waive the 60-day historic-demolition waiting period for a property at 9 North 10th Street after staff said the house presents a safety hazard.

Michael Senate, with the city’s economic development office, told the board the city’s historic preservation officer had identified the house as a contributing structure and normally recommended a 60-day delay. "Our historic preservation officer has reviewed the property and like normal has, said that it is a contributing, piece of the neighborhood. So he would like the 60 day, waiting period enacted," Senate said. He added that the property had been set on fire twice and had recent squatters, and recommended waiving the delay so demolition could proceed to eliminate the safety risk.

The board chair moved to waive the 60-day waiting period; the motion was seconded and approved by voice vote with members saying "aye." The waiver allows the demolition process to proceed immediately rather than waiting the preservation review period.

Why it matters: The 60-day delay is intended to give preservation officials time to evaluate alternatives to demolition. The board’s action shows it found the site’s physical condition — including recent fires and unauthorized occupants — sufficient to override that usual delay.

Details from the meeting: Michael Senate presented the demolition application and explained both the historic-preservation recommendation for a delay and the safety-based rationale for a waiver. The board’s action, recorded by voice vote, approved the waiver; no dissenting votes were recorded during the item.

What the city said would happen next: With the waiting period waived, the applicant may proceed with demolition under the city’s permitting process. No further timeline was specified during the discussion.