Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Unsafe Structures topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Hopkinsville board finds 917 House Street unsafe, orders removal and fines

5784716 · September 10, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The City of Hopkinsville Code Ordinance Enforcement Board on Sept. 9 found a dwelling at 917 House Street to be unsafe and voted to order its removal and assess a fine and administrative fee.

The City of Hopkinsville Code Ordinance Enforcement Board on Sept. 9 found a dwelling at 917 House Street to be an unsafe structure and voted to have it removed and to assess a monetary penalty plus an administrative fee.

Code enforcement officer Darnell West, with the Hopkinsville Fire Department, presented photographs and a checklist-based inspection of the property, saying, “I bring before you guys tonight another unsafe structure. Address 917 House Street.” West told the board the structure had no electricity since 2015, no water since January 2021, major roof and ceiling collapse in the rear, deteriorated foundation and exterior walls, unsecured doors and windows, interior clutter and trash, and plumbing that appeared inoperable. He said the structure had worsened since an initial exterior inspection in late June and that notices and citations had been posted with no owner response.

Why this matters: the board exercises local authority to protect public health and safety, and the condition described presents fire and collapse hazards to residents and emergency personnel who might need to enter the building.

West walked the board through checklist items and interior photos, noting a sagging rear roof and an interior area where the floor was pulling away from walls. He said portions of the house were boarded but the back door was open and allowed interior access. West also said he observed items that suggested someone may have been staying in the home, including a grill and fresh charcoal.

After closing the hearing to deliberate, a board member moved that “the city has met the burden of proof and the violation does exist.” The motion was seconded and carried. The board then considered penalties and removal. A motion to have the structure removed and to assess a fine and administrative fee was made, seconded and approved.

The transcript records conflicting or unclear numeric references to the fine and administrative fee during the discussion. The record includes a stated penalty range that was transcribed as "$3.50 to $703.50" and a later motion referencing a penalty of "$3.50" and an administrative fee of "$200." The board’s action as recorded in the meeting minutes ordered removal of the structure and assessment of a monetary penalty and an administrative fee; the precise dollar figures were unclear on the audio record and are reflected above as they appear in the meeting transcript.

Board Chairman Rodney Davis presided over the hearing and the formal finding. Code enforcement officers Jeffrey Watkins and Mark DeArmond were involved in inspections and were cited during testimony as having participated in prior inspections.

Next steps: the board’s written order will specify the removal timeline and any precise fine amounts and administrative fees. The board’s orders may be appealed to Christian County District Court within 30 days of the final order, and any appeal will be limited to the record created before the enforcement board.

The board also noted that the property’s taxes were current and that the initial exterior inspection occurred in late June; the later interior inspection that supported the unsafe-structure finding occurred in August.