Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Waste Management Bulky Collection topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Oxnard public works to formalize rules for neighborhood bulky‑item drop‑offs after questions on trailers, dumpsters and staff safety

5548735 · August 7, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Oxnard City public works said it will formalize standard operating procedures for neighborhood bulky‑item drop‑off events after residents raised concerns about U‑Hauls and trailers, 4‑yard dumpster availability, volunteer roles and claims of vehicle damage.

Oxnard City Assistant Public Works Director Brian Yanez told the Inter‑Neighborhood Council on July 9 that the city will develop a standard operating procedure for neighborhood bulky‑item drop‑off events after residents raised a range of operational and safety concerns.

Yanez said staff are revising existing event rules and will bring a written standard operating procedure (SOP) to the neighborhood chairs by the council’s next meetings in September or October. "We still are are gonna be looking at, you know, businesses that come through that are taking advantage of these neighborhood events," Yanez said, adding that many printed flyers will be updated ahead of the fall events.

The update came after several neighborhood chairs and residents asked for clarifications about who may use the events, how volunteers will be assigned, and how the city handles liability for claims of vehicle damage. Lindy Levin of the Southbank neighborhood said multiple crashes at a nearby intersection and other safety concerns make these community events important. Ellis Carter (Southbank) asked whether volunteers will receive training and how many are required; Yanez said "we all we need is 4 volunteers" but that neighborhood chairs may set shift lengths themselves.

Several speakers pressed staff on vehicle and equipment rules. Yanez said the events historically barred U‑Hauls on some flyers, but staff have reconsidered that restriction: "We don't accept U Hauls," he said when explaining past guidance, then added that after staff review "we just said, you know, U Hauls are fine." He confirmed privately owned trailers will be allowed. Neighborhood chairs asked the city to make those allowances clear in updated materials.

Residents raised operational problems observed at recent events. One speaker said an event closed early despite the posted end time; Yanez apologized and reiterated that events will run until the posted 2 p.m. end time. Another resident asked whether participants must unload their own vehicles. Yanez said participants are expected to unload; once items are on the ground, staff will handle sorting into the appropriate collection bins. He noted the city has received "approximately 4 or 5 claims" in the last year or so alleging vehicle damage at these events.

A separate availability concern focused on the city’s fleet of 4‑yard green‑waste dumpsters. A resident said she was 40th on the waiting list and saw no movement over three weeks. Yanez did not provide a new timeline for increasing dumpster inventory but encouraged chairs to send specific operational concerns to staff so the department can address them.

Other operational suggestions from neighborhood leaders included clearer traffic direction signage at sites, more proactive meetings between city staff and neighborhood chairs before events, and distribution of after‑event reports showing tonnage collected. Sandy Diaz (Rio Lindo) asked for a detailed report of items collected; Yanez and staff said they can provide those reports on request. Yanez identified the city transfer station where participants previously worked with staff as the Del Norte materials recovery facility at 111 South Del Norte Boulevard.

The public discussion concluded with residents urging the city to preserve the volunteer‑focused, convivial tone of the events while improving clarity about roles and safety measures. Yanez told the council he will bring a formal SOP and updated outreach materials to the neighborhood chairs in the coming months for review.

Attribution: Quotes and attributions in this report come from Brian Yanez, assistant public works director; Lindy Levin, Southbank resident; Ellis Carter, Southbank resident; Diana Belsey, Orchard Park representative; Sandy Diaz, Rio Lindo resident; Samantha (executive secretary) as meeting facilitator, and other neighborhood chairs who spoke during the July 9 meeting.

The INCO did not take formal action on the topic at the July 9 meeting; staff committed to return with a written SOP and clarified materials for upcoming events.