Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Land Use Subdivision topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Hayden council delays decision on Woodman Subdivision after hours of public comment

5566226 · July 23, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The council tabled action on a proposed 23-lot subdivision east of Viceroy and San Myrtle to allow review of late public comments and additional materials after extended debate over traffic, tree preservation and a 3.82-acre parcel proposed to remain undeveloped.

Hayden City Council on Aug. 12, 2025 voted unanimously to table deliberation on PZE250043 (Woodman Subdivision), a proposed single‑phase, 23‑lot subdivision on about 9.892 acres east of East Viceroy Avenue and East San Myrtle Avenue. Council moved the matter to its next regular meeting, Aug. 26, 2025, after receiving a large volume of late written comments and more than an hour of public testimony.

Staff presented the application as a routine infill subdivision that had received a recommendation of approval from the Planning & Zoning Commission with conditions. Donna (city staff) told council the site had been annexed into the city in February 2009 with an annexation agreement that included a condition about when a transportation impact analysis (TIA) would be required. Donna said multiple TIAs and transportation studies for the area — including completed mitigation tied to earlier Hayden Canyon development — had already assessed the locality and that city staff expects the H‑6 sewer basin improvements to be completed by the end of the calendar year so sewer service will be available when construction begins. "It should be all completed by November this year before basically, before they begin," Donna said.

Applicant representatives, including Eric Olsen of Olsen Engineering and consulting partner Marks Johnson, described the layout as R‑1 single‑family lots with a minimum lot size of 8,250 square feet and a 3.82‑acre remainder parcel the landowners intend to hold in a forested state. Olsen noted utilities already stub to the property and said the development would finish a loop of two roads stubbed to the site: "We're connecting 2 dead end water lines, which will help with water circulation in the area," he said.

The remainder parcel and tree preservation drew sustained public attention. Staff and the applicant said Idaho Fish and Game commented during agency review and staff met with the agency to identify tree‑preservation measures; the applicant has indicated intent to retain the 3.82‑acre parcel in its current wooded condition but staff and the applicant also told council that the landowner retains private property rights and future subdivision of that remainder would require a separate application. Donna told council a construction‑plan submittal will be required to identify the area to be preserved, and she said that more restrictive, permanent protections could be added as a specific condition of approval if the council wishes to require them.

Residents who live adjacent to the project — particularly homeowners on Hayden Canyon streets that would abut the new subdivision — pressed council on traffic safety, sidewalks, and whether a fresh TIA funded by the owner is required under the annexation agreement when densities exceed two dwelling units per acre. Multiple speakers said they were worried about vehicle speeds and the two proposed entrance points at Viceroy and San Myrtle. David Herold, who said he lives in Hayden Canyon, told the council: "I live in 1 of those 9 homes that backs up to the new project, so I'm probably a little bit closer to the project." Other speakers, including several who presented a petition and a multi‑page written packet, urged stronger tree protections and argued the plan does not provide meaningful green space for new residents.

Council members asked staff detailed questions about the annexation conditions, the city’s 2040 transportation master plan, whether the proposed density triggers TIA requirements, and the timing of the H‑6 sewer basin work. Donna and staff repeatedly told council the H‑6 sewer improvements are under construction and are expected to be complete before building activity on the subdivision would begin. Staff also reminded council that the Planning & Zoning Commission had recommended approval with the conditions now in the staff report.

After public comment, multiple council members said they wanted more time to review the large volume of late written comments and to verify technical points cited by residents before making a final determination. Council voted 4‑0 to table the application and continue deliberation at the council's next regular meeting on Aug. 26, 2025.

The postponement preserves the record and gives staff and the applicant time to respond to the community's substantive concerns about traffic modeling, tree preservation promises, and the scope of conditions the council could impose if it chooses to approve the plat. The Planning & Zoning Commission recommendation, Fish and Game comments, will‑serve letters for water and sewer, and staff’s construction‑plan conditions remain in the project record for council review.