Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Transportation Infrastructure topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Indianapolis marks $16.8 million two-way conversion of New York, Michigan streets on Near East Side

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

City officials and community leaders held a ribbon-cutting to mark completion of a $16.8 million conversion of New York and Michigan streets on Indianapolis’ Near East Side, a project the city says will calm traffic, add protected bike lanes and improve access for bus riders.

City officials and community leaders held a ribbon-cutting to mark completion of a $16.8 million conversion of New York and Michigan streets on Indianapolis’ Near East Side, a project the city says will calm traffic, add protected bike lanes and improve access for bus riders.

“At its core, this is a move to prioritize safety and connectivity in our infrastructure,” Mayor Hogsett said at the ceremony, noting the two-way conversion will “see calmer traffic and a more pedestrian-friendly environment.”

City and transit leaders said the project adds protected bike lanes, new sidewalks, ADA curb ramps, street paving and landscaped medians and should streamline bus operations through the corridor. “Every bus ride begins and ends either on foot or by bike,” Jennifer Pierce, president and CEO of Indigo, said. “This means our riders will no longer have to duck and dodge speeding cars to access their bus stop.”

Ross Pippen, CEO of the Near East Side Innovation School Corporation, said safety for students was a primary goal. “These changes are going to significantly improve safety by calming traffic, reducing speeds, and adding dedicated bike lanes,” Pippen said, adding the conversion had been part of the neighborhood’s quality-of-life plan since 2008.

Todd Wilson, director of the Department of Public Works, said the city invested $16,800,000 in the project and thanked contractors A and F Engineering, Reith Riley Construction and Aegis, as well as internal staff. Wilson said the opening schedule is staggered: New York Street will open to two-way traffic on Monday, and the segment of Michigan Street from the west end at Highland Avenue to the east end at East Pleasant Run Parkway will open on Tuesday. He said the remainder of Michigan Street will remain closed to two-way traffic until CSX finishes work at a railroad crossing on the corridor’s west side.

Wilson and others credited cross-agency partnership and neighborhood advocacy for advancing a project that had been paused in the past as too costly or technically challenging. The city’s Department of Public Works highlighted team members Jordan Williams (design management) and Curtis Holcomb of Crossroad Engineers (construction management) during remarks.

Officials said the project aims to benefit multiple groups: students walking to nearby Thomas Craig Neighborhood School and Washington Irving Neighborhood School, Indigo bus riders, cyclists, pedestrians and Near East Side businesses that leaders said should see increased foot traffic.

The ribbon-cutting concluded with an invitation for attendees to view the corridor and a note that refreshments were available at the event.