Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Department Budget topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
SF Environment director warns of staffing and funding shortfalls as major renovation ordinance advances
Summary
San Francisco Environment Director Tyrone Jude briefed the commission on program highlights and a deteriorating budget outlook that staff said could force program reductions or layoffs in the coming fiscal cycle.
Get email alerts on the Department Budget topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
San Francisco Environment Director Tyrone Jude briefed the commission on program highlights and a deteriorating budget outlook that staff said could force program reductions or layoffs in the coming fiscal cycle.
Jude told commissioners that the major renovations ordinance — a building-electrification-related measure discussed during the Building Operations Task Force — passed unanimously out of the Board of Supervisors Land Use Committee and will go to the full board for consideration.
He summarized program milestones: the mayor announced the opening of the department’s first fast EV chargers at Bayview Plaza; the department completed BayREN refrigerant-replacement pilots at two San Francisco sites; the 2025 update to the San Francisco Green Building Code has been forwarded to the Board of Supervisors after receiving Department of Building Inspection committee support; and the Safe Medicine Disposal Program collected 42,247 pounds of unwanted medications in calendar year 2024, an 11 percent increase from 2023.
Jude also described the refuse-rate budget process and said the department requested roughly $3 million through refuse-rate funding but the refuse-rate board funded only a subset of positions. He said the department’s headcount reflected in the presentation decreased from 45 to 39 full-time equivalents after adjustments and that the department expects further work-order reductions in year two of the budget cycle. "If we're not able to rectify that year 2 shortfall, it'll essentially result in potential layoffs of our climate team, our building electrification team, and our Electric Vehicle Team," Jude said.
Jude described how refuse-rate funding covered some priority items: a landfill contracting position (previously funded with one-time monies) was funded; a 0.5 FTE toxics reduction position was partially funded to support outreach to small businesses; port rent increases to maintain a recovery facility were covered; and one existing 18/22 classification position was funded at full FTE. He said the mayor’s office has heard department concerns and staff will continue discussions to resolve the year-2 shortfall before budget instructions are finalized later this year.
Why it matters: The department leads policy implementation for city climate goals and many of its core activities — building electrification, electric vehicle deployment and program support — depend on a small staff. Jude framed the current budget trajectory as a test of the city's commitments to its climate targets and said program implementation requires both staffing and programmatic funds.
Clarifying details: Director Jude said the refuse-rate request was roughly $3,000,000; the Safe Medicine Disposal Program collected 42,247 pounds of medicines in 2024 (an 11% increase over 2023); staff headcount shown in the presentation would fall from 45 to 39 FTE after refuse-rate adjustments; year-two work-order reductions could deepen cuts and carry a layoff risk beginning July 1, 2026, if not resolved.
