Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Truck Restrictions topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Council approves truck tonnage limits on Seventh Street in Boyle Heights
Summary
The council approved restrictions intended to keep heavy diesel trucks off Seventh Street; councilmember and neighborhood representatives said the change will be implemented in 30 days and further infrastructure work will be pursued to direct truck traffic to industrial corridors.
Get email alerts on the Truck Restrictions topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Los Angeles City Council unanimously approved an ordinance to impose tonnage limits and limit large diesel trucks on Seventh Street in Boyle Heights on July 14.
Council Member Pacheco introduced the item and described a multi-month neighborhood effort to secure a truck‑restriction on Seventh Street. Pacheco said the California Trucking Association had been cooperative in routing truck traffic into industrial areas and that the council expected the restriction to take effect within about 30 days: “So 30 days from now, there will be no more trucks on Seventh Street,” he said on the dais.
The council discussion noted that additional state funding and legislative assistance (mentioned in the meeting as anticipated support from Senator Polanco) might be needed to modify on‑ramps and other industrial access points to facilitate redirected truck traffic.
Why it matters: Residents and council members framed the change as a quality‑of‑life and environmental justice issue in Boyle Heights, a neighborhood with multiple freeway ramps and high exposure to truck traffic. Council Member Ridley Thomas praised the motion as part of a larger environmental quality agenda the council is pursuing.
Implementation: Council staff and the Department of Transportation will coordinate enforcement and signage; the council forwarded the item with unanimous approval and sent it forthwith.

