Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Con Beach Boardwalk topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council discusses Con Beach boardwalk damage and long-term repair options as county renourishment moves forward

5870248 · July 22, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Councilmember John Carroll described severe erosion and structural concerns at the Con Beach boardwalk and urged the council to allocate design funds for long-term solutions. A Beach and Shores Preservation Commission appointee said county-led renourishment (sector 5) aims to place roughly 150,000 cubic yards of sand with bidding in August and a

Council member John Carroll brought the condition of the Con Beach boardwalk to the Vero Beach City Council, saying erosion and repeated storm damage have left sidewalks and access points in hazardous condition and that the city must plan structural repairs after upcoming county sand renourishment.

Why it matters: Con Beach is a heavily used public access and boardwalk area. Council members and staff discussed the need to evaluate long-term structural alternatives, estimate funding needs and coordinate with the county’s scheduled renourishment work so the city does not repeatedly spend on short-term repairs.

Carroll told the council the boardwalk and the adjacent roadway have sustained major damage during recent storms and that, while county renourishment (Sector 5) will add sand and relieve immediate erosion risk, the city must decide on a structural solution — options include rip-rap (rock), concrete or a sheet-pile seawall under or behind the existing timber boardwalk. Carroll said the council’s consultant had presented six alternatives and that three likely could be set aside because they would require removal of the boardwalk; he urged allocating design funds to study remaining alternatives and to add a rock alternative.

A member of the Beach and Shores Preservation Commission told the council the county’s work order for Sector 5 was approved on May 20, 2025, with surveys underway and anticipated construction volume of approximately 150,000 cubic yards. That appointee said the county planned to prepare bids in August and hoped to start construction in November and complete the work the following May. The commission appointee said the sand placement would provide short-term relief and breathing room for the city to plan structural options.

Council members and staff raised permitting considerations: some structural options may require state permits and could reduce the usable width of the coastal roadway (one option discussed would require a setback that could eliminate one traffic lane). Council members estimated a full rebuild could range into the millions of dollars; one council speaker said an extrapolation could put the project in the $5 million–$10 million range or higher and that any total rebuild would be a multi-year effort. Council member Carroll and others said funding and prioritization should be addressed during upcoming budget hearings.

The council discussed alternatives to federal funding; a council member recalled FEMA had previously declined to fund full mitigation, offering only incremental repairs after repetitive damage. Council members asked staff to gather the consultant’s alternatives and costs so the council could decide which options to study in more detail and identify potential funding sources.

What’s next: County-driven renourishment is expected to provide sand later this year; the council directed that staff and the city’s consultants refine cost estimates and permitting assessments for the boardwalk alternatives and consider funding approaches during the budget process.