Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Pud Foothill Macy topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Council approves 138‑lot Foothill & Macy planned community; first reading of zoning change set
Summary
The city approved a bundled set of actions — mitigated negative declaration, general plan amendment, zoning map change, tentative tract map 20695, and a development permit — to allow a 138‑lot Planned Unit Development at Foothill Boulevard and Macy Street.
Get email alerts on the Pud Foothill Macy topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The San Bernardino City Council on July 16 approved a package of land‑use actions that clear the way for a 138‑lot Planned Unit Development (PUD) at the northwest corner of Foothill Boulevard and Macy Street.
George de Lardy, associate planner in the Planning Division, summarized five linked approvals: a General Plan amendment (24‑01) to change the land‑use designation from commercial to multifamily residential; a zoning map amendment (24‑01) to change the zoning from Commercial General 1 to Residential Medium; a subdivision (Tentative Tract Map 20695) to create 138 single‑family lots from 14 existing parcels on about 15.71 acres; and a development permit (P24‑04) for site and architectural review of clustered single‑family housing. De Lardy described six floor plans ranging from 2,325 to 3,076 square feet, three architectural styles (farmhouse, Spanish and prairie), private yards, two‑car garages, and 59 guest parking spaces. He said staff recommended adoption of a mitigated negative declaration and associated mitigation monitoring program, approval of the amendments and subdivision, and introduction of the implementing ordinance, with a second reading scheduled for Aug. 6.
Public speakers raised infrastructure and affordability questions. Dolores Armstead (Sixth Ward) asked whether the area can support the traffic from roughly 300 additional cars and whether homes would be sold or rented; she urged more owner‑occupied affordable options. Christian Flores, a community organizer, supported the project as one piece of the city’s broader housing response but echoed concerns about nearby food access and community benefits. The developer told council the site was previously considered for truck parking and had been repositioned after outreach and said it is market‑rate housing for sale, though builders had not yet been finalized; the developer said his family business will keep working the project toward shovel‑ready status and will market to national home builders if conditions permit.
Council members praised staff and the developer’s outreach. Councilmember Sanchez moved to approve; Councilmember Ortiz seconded. After reopening the public hearing briefly to allow the developer to clarify market intent, the council voted to adopt the mitigated negative declaration, introduce the ordinance for the zoning change, approve the subdivision and development permit, and schedule a second reading of the ordinance for Aug. 6. The motion passed unanimously.
Key project details in staff documents: approximately 15.71 acres, 138 clustered single‑family lots (lot sizes about 2,400–4,100 square feet), six floor plans (3–5 bedrooms), amenities including picnic areas and a tot lot, decorative entry off Macy Street, and new public streets with curb, gutter and sidewalks to be HOA maintained. Public works and Caltrans coordination were noted; staff said Caltrans owns portions of Route 66 and has planned future work in the corridor.
Actions taken: Council approved the environmental finding (mitigated negative declaration and mitigation monitoring and reporting program); introduced Ordinance MC‑1654 (zoning map amendment) for first reading; adopted resolutions approving the subdivision (Tentative Tract Map 20695) and Development Permit P24‑04; and directed the second reading of the ordinance at the Aug. 6 council meeting.

