Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Victim Services Funding topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Local domestic violence hotline reports nearly 1,000 June calls and warns of federal funding cuts
Summary
Fearless reported 994 hotline calls in June and warned of an anticipated $300,000 annual decrease to their state pass-through victim services grant beginning Oct. 1, which the group said would jeopardize services without adjustments.
Get email alerts on the Victim Services Funding topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
MONTICELLO, N.Y. — Fearless, the county-area domestic violence service provider, told the Sullivan County Health and Human Services Committee on July 17 that its advocates answered 994 hotline calls in June and nearly 6,000 calls during the first half of the year.
Sarita Green, speaking for Fearless, said hotline staff provide safety planning, shelter referrals and legal advocacy, and that the organization’s shelter program supported 39 individuals in June (25 adults and 14 children). For the first half of 2025, the shelter supported 107 people (64 adults and 43 children). “The hotline really is an important pathway to services and support,” Green said.
Green also said the group received an award letter indicating an anticipated $300,000-per-year reduction in funding passed through the state — a decrease she estimated would total nearly $1 million over a multi-year grant term. She said the reduction stems from federal funding shifts and added that the anticipated decrease is set to take effect Oct. 1. “We just got the award letter in the last week. The funding is anticipated to start October 1,” Green said.
Committee members asked how Fearless would pivot. Green said staff were still assessing options and that the organization would provide an update when plans were clearer.
Why it matters: Fearless’ hotline and shelter work reach people at immediate risk; Green said cuts at the federal/state level do not reduce community need and could force service changes. Committee members asked the provider to return with a plan if the cuts are finalized. No formal county funding decision was made at the meeting.
