Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Land Use Subdivision topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Corona planning commission denies re‑entitlement of 103‑home tentative tract map amid safety and outreach concerns

5066971 · June 24, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Planning and Housing Commission voted unanimously to deny a re‑entitlement for Tentative Tract Map (TTM) 37,895, a proposal to subdivide 61.6 acres for 103 single‑family lots, citing public‑safety, traffic access and unresolved neighborhood outreach issues.

The City of Corona Planning and Housing Commission voted unanimously to deny the re‑entitlement of Tentative Tract Map (TTM) 37,895, a proposal to subdivide 61.6 acres into 103 single‑family lots, following a public hearing that highlighted safety concerns, incomplete neighborhood mitigation and disputed outreach by the applicant.

The commission’s action reverses an earlier 2014 approval that had expired after the prior developer did not record the map. Planning Manager Sandra Venain told commissioners the current applicant seeks to re‑entitle the subdivision as a gated community with lot sizes ranging from about 12,000 to 33,383 square feet and a density of about 1.67 dwelling units per acre. The map would require multiple public improvements, including construction of Laurel Canyon Way frontage to city standards, restriping and no‑parking on Old Temescal Road, fair‑share payment toward a traffic signal at Rimpole Avenue and Old Temescal Road, construction of a traffic signal at Ontario and State Street prior to map recordation, and the construction of Shadow Valley Drive to Riverside County standards before project opening.

The project drew sustained opposition from nearby residents and local businesses at the hearing. Multiple speakers said prior grading, blasting and site cleanup by an earlier developer caused lasting damage to neighborhood property and that fencing and other promised repairs remain incomplete. “They lied to you guys,” said Chris Salazar, identified in the hearing as a resident and HOA representative. “The fences are not complete. They put up a couple stretches and walked away.” Resident Julie Trapp told the commission the developer “trespassed onto county land” and repeatedly failed to follow approvals during earlier work on the site.

Applicant representatives told the commission they had pursued renewed outreach and added conditions addressing industrial‑operation noise and disclosure to future buyers. Peter Carlson of Carlson Strategic Land Solutions, who represented the applicant at the hearing, said his team logged outreach contacts and proposed conditions including pond fencing, debris and boulder removal, and gating and access arrangements. Carlson said the applicant did not intend to increase the previously‑approved lot count and otherwise proposed the tentative map substantially as previously approved.

County and industry representatives also addressed operational and safety concerns. Kevin Saining, division manager with the Riverside County Transportation Department, said centerline pavement markers and other visibility improvements would be acceptable in the county portion of Shadow Valley Drive but confirmed the county portion of the project is currently on hold and would require separate county approvals. Jim Gore of Vulcan Materials Company and other nearby industrial operators sent letters requesting an 8‑foot sound wall and disclosure notices for buyers; staff noted municipal code limits a conditioned wall to 7 feet without a variance and added related conditions of approval in the staff report.

Commissioners focused on three principal issues: (1) whether the project relies on a second access (Shadow Valley Drive) that is not guaranteed because it requires separate county actions; (2) continuing public‑safety risks on Old Temescal Road, which at its narrowest is about 27 feet wide and lacks sidewalks, consistent illumination and sight‑distance improvements; and (3) the applicant’s track record and the apparent incompleteness of promised site repairs and HOA fencing. Commissioner comments cited repeated community complaints and what several commissioners described as inadequate or untimely corrective work by the applicant and contractors. Commissioner Woody moved to deny adoption of the addendum to the adopted Mitigated Negative Declaration and to deny approval of TTM 37,895; Commissioner Alexander seconded the motion. The commission voted unanimously to approve the motion to deny the project.

Action summary (as stated into the record): the commission denied the addendum to the adopted mitigated negative declaration and denied approval of Tentative Tract Map 37,895. Staff noted the motion was read as a denial and the verbal vote on the motion was recorded as unanimous. The written record will reflect denial and staff said it will finalize the verbiage accordingly.

The commission closed the public hearing after hearing roughly a dozen residents and representatives of nearby businesses and agencies. Commissioners and staff noted that if the applicant revises the proposal it would need to resolve the unresolved county approvals for Shadow Valley Drive, complete the site cleanup and fencing work identified by neighbors, and provide clearer, documented outreach to the affected neighborhood before the commission would consider returning the map for approval. The Planning and Housing Commission’s next scheduled meeting was announced as Monday, July 7.