Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Literacy Policy topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

State board weighs moving third‑grade reading cut score to –1.5 this year, then to –1 by 2026–27

5029384 · June 18, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Board members debated whether to raise the third‑grade reading cut score from –2 (435) to –1.5 (444) for the coming year, holding that level for two years and reaching –1 (454) in 2026–27; staff and board discussed retention, summer remediation, portfolio and good‑cause exemptions and communications to parents.

The State Board discussed whether to raise the third‑grade reading cut score used for the literacy law decisions and associated retention rules.

Dr. Mackey recommended a three‑year runway: raise the cut score to –1.5 (a scaled score of 444) for the coming year, keep it at –1.5 the next year, and move to –1 (scaled score 454) in the 2026–27 school year. “My recommendation coming in is that we go up to 1.5,” he said.

Why it matters: Under Alabama law the cut score helps identify students who may be retained; the policy affects promotion, summer remediation, district intervention plans and parent communications.

Key points and numbers from the discussion: - Current (most recent) cut score: –2, scaled score 435. Board members said the initial cohort under –2 was about 9% of students. - Proposed trajectory discussed in detail: Option A — move to –1.5 (444) this year, remain at –1.5 next year, then –1 (454) in 2026–27. Option B — remain at –2 for one more year, then step up to –1.5, then to –1, reaching the same endpoint but with a later first step. - Staff said about 9% of students were below the –2 cut this year; staff also reported that of students who went to summer reading programs and retested, roughly 2.5 percentage points improved enough to clear the cut score, reducing the net retention pool. - Board members emphasized the need to communicate carefully to parents and to send two model letters: one for students below the cut and a second for students who meet the passing threshold but remain “at risk” and should receive follow‑up supports. - The board discussed the portfolio and exemption processes: as of the meeting staff reported preliminary counts of students being promoted via IEP, 504, supplemental assessment and portfolios; districts have until September 16 to finalize portfolio/promotions reporting.

Board questions focused on resource availability for summer programming and interventions (districts previously used supplemental federal dollars that are expiring), the desire for a clear multi‑year signal to districts and teachers, and the statistical issue that three data points are normally better for trend analysis.

Ending: The superintendent recommended the 3‑year plan (444 this year, remain at 444 next year, then 454 in ’26–’27) to give districts a predictable trajectory; several board members signaled support for a gradual move while stressing the need for continued investments in interventions and communication to families.