Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Safety Fireworks topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Santa Maria outlines fireworks education and enforcement plan ahead of Fourth of July
Summary
City staff described an outreach and enforcement campaign ahead of July 4 that includes 24 'safe and sane' sales booths, bilingual education, a $1,000 fine for illegal fireworks, a GPS-equipped aircraft to pinpoint launch locations, an illegal-fireworks hotline and a family July 4 event.
Get email alerts on the Public Safety Fireworks topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Santa Maria public information officer Mark VandeCamp told the City Council on Tuesday that the city is stepping up education and enforcement ahead of the Fourth of July to reduce illegal fireworks, protect residents and reduce disturbances for pets and noise-sensitive people.
VandeCamp said the city will allow sales of “safe and sane” fireworks at 24 nonprofit booths from June 28 through July 4 and will distribute two-sided bilingual flyers and free yard signs to households and at point of sale. He said the Recreation and Parks Department will host a family event on July 4 at the Abel Maldonado Community Youth Center and Paul Nelson Aquatic Center featuring music, food and activities.
The city’s enforcement strategy, VandeCamp said, will include a fireworks detail of Santa Maria Police Department officers, partnering fire prevention inspectors, city rangers on patrol and an aircraft equipped with GPS and video to “pinpoint launch points of illegal fireworks,” with property owners receiving citations when launches are traced to an address. VandeCamp said violators face a $1,000 fine.
“We are looking forward to a great Fourth of July. The city encourages the community to celebrate the nation’s birthday responsibly,” VandeCamp said. He described outreach in English and Spanish, direct mail to all households, social media, paid radio ads, bus posters and flyers placed inside sold fireworks bags.
Bridal Dandridge, identified in the presentation as a fire chief, appears in two 30‑second public service announcements asking residents to use only “safe and sane” fireworks between 11 a.m. and 11 p.m. on July 4. The city also promoted free pet crates through County Animal Services and an illegal-fireworks hotline (925-0951 ext. 3473) monitored by the police department; VandeCamp said callers giving their name and willing to testify will help enforcement.
VandeCamp said the city issued a record 63 fireworks violations last year and that the city’s area, about 23.2 square miles, makes third‑party reporting useful to supplement patrols. He said some paid advertising will run on local television and radio as public service announcements.
The presentation included an invitation for businesses to request digital outreach assets and encouraged residents to pick up free yard signs at City Hall.

