Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Enforcement topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Beer board orders two-day suspension of beer sales at Los Potros after underage sale

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Collegedale City Beer Board voted to suspend beer sales for two days at Los Potros Mexican Restaurant after a controlled underage-purchase operation found an 18-year-old was served; the board discussed training and prior violations.

The Collegedale City Beer Board voted to bar Los Potros Mexican Restaurant from selling beer for two days (Sunday and Monday) after a police underage-purchase operation found that an 18-year-old had been served an alcoholic beverage.

Sergeant Harris summarized the investigation: an underage alcohol purchaser (UAP) of 18 years, 11 months and 21 days was sent into the restaurant and was served a 12-ounce bottle of Michelob Ultra and a drink in a clear mug. Harris said the UAP was “sitting alone at a booth” and that the beverage was “served to her by an employee who was still in the restaurant,” later identified by the officer as Elmer Lamar Morales.

Board members discussed Los Potros’ enforcement history and staff training. The business acknowledged it had a prior violation about three years earlier and said that after that incident “they had everybody trained.” City attorney Sam and board members reviewed penalty options, including suspension of the beer permit or a civil penalty up to $1,000 (and up to $2,500 if the business is not a responsible vendor). The owner’s representative said the employee had not yet completed vendor-training classes and that Spanish-language training is next available in July.

Vice Mayor Sadler and other board members recommended a two-day suspension on lower-traffic days to balance enforcement with the restaurant’s business needs; the board settled on Sunday and Monday as the suspended days. The motion passed on roll call: Commissioner Baker — yes; Commissioner House — yes; Commissioner Johnson — yes; Vice Mayor Sadler — yes. The board instructed the business to post notice of the suspension on its door and to pursue vendor training for staff.