Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Parks Recreation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Wellington authorizes $2.05 million guaranteed maximum price and budget transfer for Walton Tennis Center expansion
Summary
Council approved a $2,050,000 guaranteed maximum price amendment to add six courts and a shade canopy at the Walton Tennis Center and approved a resolution reallocating recreation-impact funds to cover the increase.
Get email alerts on the Parks Recreation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Wellington Village Council on June 10 authorized a guaranteed maximum price (GMP) amendment of $2,050,000 for the Walton Tennis Center expansion and approved a companion budget resolution to allocate additional recreation impact funds. The approvals passed on separate motions, both by 4-0 votes.
What was approved: The GMP covers site work and construction to add three hard-tru courts and three hard (asphalt) courts, plus a shade canopy and additional lighting. The construction manager at-risk selected for the work is Burkhart Construction; the contract schedule contemplates work beginning in July and completing in early 2026.
Why the expansion: Village staff said demand for courts has grown significantly since the modern tennis center opened, and that existing schedules are fully booked. A staff presenter said he had just spoken with the center manager and that the additional courts will be in heavy use. The project was bid through the village’s CMAR process; the original project budget was about $1.4 million, and the council approved a transfer of approximately $650,000 in recreation impact fees to cover the competitive GMP.
Padel courts and revenue: The meeting also reviewed a co-located padel court installation that is part of a public-private arrangement; private partners will build and operate seven padel courts on village property at no construction cost to the village and pay the village a court-rental fee (the presentation noted roughly $1,500 per court, generating roughly $130,000 in annual revenue under the terms described).
Funding and schedule: Staff said roughly $1.2 million in recreation impact fees were previously budgeted for the project plus a $200,000 grant. The council approved moving additional recreation-impact reserves into the capital fund to fully fund the GMP. Construction is expected to begin in July with a roughly 200-day schedule for the tennis courts; padel construction is on a parallel timetable with a planned ribbon-cutting in winter months.
Council action and vote: Council approved execution of the GMP amendment for Burkhart Construction, 4-0, and separately approved Resolution R2025-43 amending the fiscal year 2024–25 recreation impact capital fund budget and assigning recreation impact fee reserves for the Tennis Center expansion, 4-0.
Next steps: Staff will finalize the GMP contract documents and begin the construction mobilization sequence pending vendor submittals and permits. Council directed staff to coordinate construction timing to minimize disruptions and to proceed with the padel ground-breaking scheduled for the coming weekend.
