Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Environmental Remediation Newway topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Victorville approves $543,353 in contracts to continue remediation at former New Way dry cleaners

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Victorville authorized $543,353 in consultant contracts July 15 to continue groundwater and soil remediation at the former New Way Dry Cleaners site, with most monitoring wells now non‑detect but one piezometer still above the federal threshold.

The Victorville City Council on July 15 approved two consultant professional services agreements with environmental firm Nino & Moore to continue remediation at the former New Way Dry Cleaners site. The council, acting as the housing asset successor (CHAS), authorized a $60,000 agreement funded by CHAS and a $483,353 agreement funded by a Site Cleanup Subaccount Program (SCAP) grant administered by the California State Water Resources Control Board, for a total of $543,353.

Deputy City Manager Tony Camargo and staff reported the city has been working on soil and groundwater remediation at the site since contamination with perchloroethylene (PCE) and trichloroethylene (TCE) was discovered. Camargo said prior SCAP grant funds were fully expended and the city sought additional grant assistance; the council authorized acceptance of that additional grant earlier in the year and approved the consultant contracts at this meeting.

Camargo and staff said monitoring shows 13 of 14 wells around the site currently report non‑detect levels for the primary contaminants of concern. One piezometer (P4) remains above the federal threshold: staff said the federal standard cited on the record was “5” and the current reading at P4 was cited as “31” (the transcript did not specify units). Camargo noted the site began with readings in the 150 range and that concentrations have declined substantially over multiple years of monitoring and remediation. He said Lahontan Regional Water Quality Control Board requires continued remediation and monitoring until the agency issues a regulatory closeout letter.

Council member Jones asked whether prior grant funding had been fully spent; staff confirmed the prior SCAP allocation was expended. City staff and the consultant scope include continued monitoring, removal of remaining contamination sources, and removal/disposal of site monitoring wells and associated equipment once regulatory closeout is achieved.

Council action: Council member Jones moved to authorize the CHAS $60,000 agreement and the city $483,353 agreement with Nino & Moore; Mayor Pro Tem Herriman seconded. The clerk recorded votes as Yes from Council member Godin, Council member Irving, Council member Jones, Mayor Pro Tem Herriman and Mayor Becerra. Motion passed unanimously.

Staff said the goal remains to drive contaminant levels to non‑detect or below regulatory thresholds, obtain a closeout letter from the Lahontan board, then remove monitoring equipment and end active oversight. The contracts include work covered by the SCAP grant and CHAS funds; staff said removal and disposal of wells and equipment is included in the grant scope when the regulatory agencies accept closure.