Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the City Land Lease Southern Youth Sports topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Pensacola parks board members urge public review of 46-year land lease with Southern Youth Sports Association

5519931 · May 20, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Board members raised concerns that a 46-year, $10-per-term land lease between the city and Southern Youth Sports Association was placed on the City Council agenda without prior notice to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board and urged citizens to speak at the council meeting.

The Pensacola Parks and Recreation Board on Tuesday warned residents that a proposed land lease between the city and the Southern Youth Sports Association will be considered by the Pensacola City Council on Thursday and urged citizens to review the proposal and speak at the council meeting.

Justine Roper Williams, a Parks and Recreation board member, told colleagues the lease term would be 46 years for $10 and that “the city will be expected to maintain and pay the utilities.” She said the item was not brought before the Parks and Rec board and therefore the board could not act on it at Tuesday’s meeting.

The board’s concern centers on the length of the lease, the nominal rent and ongoing city maintenance obligations. Williams also noted the same organization already has a separate 25-year lease with the existing Theophilus May resource center and said the city’s agenda summary did not include details such as the number of children served or the full scope of programming. “Our presentation last year did not provide any details on the number of children they're assisting,” she said.

Board members pointed out that Councilman Delerian Wiggins pulled the item from the consent agenda so it would appear as item 11 for discussion at the council meeting, giving the public an opportunity to speak. Director Shands confirmed the city intends for a recreation facility to be built on the site and that the city will be responsible for the building’s maintenance, though he said the contract limits the city’s contribution to about $17,500 a year for maintenance; he did not specify which departmental budget that would come from.

Members also raised questions about procurement and conflicts of interest after Williams said the operator of the Southern Youth organization is also listed as the project contractor/developer in the materials the board reviewed and asked why the project had not been issued as a request for proposals.

Board members urged residents and board members who want to speak to appear at the City Council meeting on Thursday at 5:30 p.m.; they noted that Parks and Rec as an advisory board could not formally vote on the item because it had not been publicly noticed to them.

The board did not take formal action on the lease at its meeting. The item remains scheduled for City Council consideration on Thursday and interested citizens were told to consult the council agenda materials online for full documentation of the proposal.

Ending: The Parks and Rec board said it will monitor the council process and suggested improving early notice to the board so similar items can be reviewed before council action.