Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Short Term Rentals topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Newport News council hears Mary Point residents; mayor sets August 1 compliance deadline for short‑term rentals

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Residents of the Mary Point neighborhood told City Council of repeated short‑term rental violations, a January shooting and ongoing quality‑of‑life problems. Mayor Jones and council members said the city will enforce the ordinance and publish a compliance plan; property owners have until Aug. 1 to come into compliance.

Residents of the Mary Point neighborhood told the Newport News City Council on June 10 that short‑term rentals in their area are repeatedly violating city rules, producing noise, trash and, in one case, a shooting that residents said put neighbors at risk.

The residents’ testimony prompted Mayor Phillip Jones and council members to say the city will begin enforcing the short‑term rental ordinance and publish details of the enforcement plan; the mayor said owners will have until Aug. 1 to get into compliance.

Mary Point resident Anthony Starkey told council the neighborhood has “consistent reports of violations” that have gone unanswered. “Our neighborhood is a little concerned about that,” he said.

Homeowner Linda Kenwood described a January shooting near her home and said she was unaware short‑term rentals were allowed in her neighborhood when the ordinance was enacted. “I don't believe that there is a good process to ensure that there is compliance to those guidelines,” she said, asking the city to revisit application and monitoring procedures.

Several other residents gave examples. Morley Collins said “45 rounds were fired into the short‑term rental home and into a nearby car” during an incident in January and described repeated failures by the property owner to follow rules, including missed trash collection. Michael Simaru and Jamie Starkey, chair of the Mary Point Civic Association, said they have documented listings that continue to appear on short‑term rental platforms despite claims the properties had been removed from those sites.

Councilman John Coleman (Councilman Coleman) and Councilman James Long said they had already discussed enforcement and possible ordinance changes. “We’re looking forward to moving the needle on number one: enforcement of our current regulations,” Coleman said. Long added that residents should report the specific listing sites so the city can pursue complaints on those platforms.

Mayor Jones told residents the city will publish the enforcement plan in “Newport News Now” and send information to residents by Thursday or Friday. “We are now going to enforce it,” he said, and said council will discuss strengthening the ordinance at an upcoming council retreat.

The public comments on short‑term rentals occurred during the designated citizen comment period of the council meeting. Council did not take a formal vote or adopt an immediate ordinance amendment on June 10; the remarks and the mayor’s announcement were direction to staff to proceed with publication of enforcement steps and to set a compliance deadline.

The council members present who addressed the topic at the meeting were Mayor Phillip Jones, Councilman John Coleman and Councilman James Long. The residents who spoke included Anthony Starkey, Linda Kenwood, Mindell (Mindell) Service, Michael Simaru, Morley Collins and Jamie Starkey.