Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Yemen Detention Humanitarian Access topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

UN renews call for release of detained aid workers in Yemen; 23 UN personnel remain held

3622462 · June 2, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

At a UN press briefing, the secretary-general and spokespeople renewed demands that Houthi de facto authorities immediately and unconditionally release dozens of detained United Nations, NGO and diplomatic staff; the briefing said 23 UN personnel remain detained and urged accountability for the death of a World Food Programme colleague.

The United Nations on Friday renewed calls for the immediate and unconditional release of dozens of United Nations personnel, national and international nongovernmental organization staff, civil society members and diplomatic mission staff detained in Yemen by Houthi de facto authorities.

The call came during a regular UN spokesperson briefing in New York, where the spokesperson summarized remarks from the secretary-general and cited continuing arbitrary detention dating back to February 2023 and some detentions in January of this year. The briefing said 23 UN personnel remain detained.

The secretary-general, as relayed by the spokesperson, reiterated the UN’s “strongest condemnation” of the death and detention of a World Food Programme colleague earlier this year and demanded “an immediate, transparent, and thorough investigation and accountability.” The UN also urged that released personnel be treated humanely and that families be spared further hardship around upcoming holidays.

UN officials said the continued arbitrary detention of humanitarian staff “is a profound injustice” that constrains the UN’s ability to operate and undermines mediation efforts toward peace. The briefing also called on member states and international partners to intensify advocacy for the detainees’ release and said the UN will continue to pursue all possible channels to secure their safe return.

Questions from journalists at the briefing sought a numerical breakdown of detained personnel; the spokesperson responded that 23 UN personnel remained detained and that a more detailed breakdown would be provided when available.

The UN did not give a detailed public list of detainees’ names or nationalities at the briefing. The spokesperson reiterated that detention of humanitarian personnel is unacceptable and said the UN welcomes collective support from partners and nongovernmental organizations working on the issue.

The briefing made clear these remarks represented the secretary-general’s position and were delivered to convey concern over operational impacts and to press for both immediate releases and an investigation into the earlier death of a WFP colleague.

Looking ahead, the UN called on Houthi de facto authorities to act on the appeals, and on member states to maintain diplomatic pressure and advocacy for the detainees’ release.