Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Special Events Permits topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Downtown car show permit dispute: promoters say business district harmed by last-minute footprint change; city staff cite safety and operational concerns

5526527 · June 16, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Organizers of a proposed downtown “Cars on First” show said they had a city-approved permit and paid fees, but city management and parks staff reduced the event footprint after another promoter voiced concerns. Organizers say the change would harm participating downtown businesses and fundraising beneficiaries; city public-safety staff said they

Organizers of a planned downtown car show told the Fort Myers City Council during public input that the city changed the approved event footprint at the last minute and that the revised plan would harm downtown businesses and nonprofit partners.

Rick Rhodes, who identified himself as organizer of Cars on First with SJC Boxing, said he followed city permitting procedures, paid a $740 fee and completed site walks with parks staff. Rhodes said staff later reduced the event footprint after another promoter raised concerns to the city. He said the scaled-back footprint would exclude some downtown businesses and reduce economic benefit to charities and merchants that had signed on as partners.

Anthony Roberts, a co-organizer, told the council the event had been permitted for First Street from Royal Palm to Monroe and from Main to Bay but was later revised. Roberts said the show draws high-end, classic cars and that similar car shows in other cities drive substantial downtown spending.

Promoters said they revised event hours (from 10 a.m.–7 p.m. to 10 a.m.–4 p.m.) and reduced vehicle counts when staff raised safety and access questions. Rhodes said the organizers reduced the footprint to preserve business access while trying to address staff concerns.

City staff said they are working to get the event to a “yes.” Chief McMillian of the fire department said the city’s special events committee—including police, fire, public works and event staff—meets to ensure public safety. McMillian said his office and other departments have been working with promoters to develop a plan that allows the event while ensuring emergency access, proper barricading and staffing. He noted that longer events and denser closures create higher logistical and safety requirements.

The city manager and Parks and Recreation staff said they met with organizers and recommended a revised footprint to address emergency access, neighborhood impacts and staffing constraints. Staff also noted union staffing windows for police officers and the need to ensure ambulance and fire access if someone at the event requires emergency care.

Organizers said the revised footprint still includes business-fronting blocks and that many downtown merchants supported the event. They asked council to intervene or clarify the city’s decision because they had advertised, secured partners and committed fundraising beneficiaries.

Councilmembers asked staff to clarify the changes and whether police, fire and risk-management concerns remained. Chief McMillian said staff had met with promoters and that progress was being made but that additional coordination was required before the city could fully restore the larger footprint. No formal council action was taken at the meeting; staff indicated they would continue to work with the promoters to refine the plan.