Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Special Events topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Town of Speedway approves Main Street closure, fee waiver for IMSA Fest
Summary
The Town Council approved closing Main Street for IMSA Fest to display race cars, host driver Q&A and pit-stop demonstrations, and waived event fees to support attendance and local businesses.
Get email alerts on the Special Events topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Town of Speedway Town Council on Aug. 25 approved a special-events permit to close Main Street from 13th Street to 16th Street for the 2025 IMSA Fest and waived associated town fees.
Council voted 4-0 to allow the Indianapolis Motor Speedway–presented event to place race cars on display, host a question-and-answer session with select drivers on the permanent stage, stage pit-stop demonstrations in the middle of Main Street and hold fan activities, DJ music and autograph sessions. Organizers said about 30 drivers were RSVP'd for two autograph sessions and that a fan-zone with barbecue and bourbon activities will be set up in a parking lot.
Grant (Town manager Grant Kleinhines) told the council the event aims to bring fans and visitors to Speedway and boost local businesses along Main Street. Councilor Jason DeWyle moved to approve the request; the motion was seconded and passed unanimously. As part of the motion the council agreed to waive event fees.
Councilors made no substantive changes to the event plan during discussion but expressed support for the family-friendly activities and expressed hope for good weather. Organizers said they have previously closed the same block for similar events and requested extending the closure as they had done for a prior parade.
The town will proceed with permitted street closures and public-safety coordination as required for street events. No further conditions or follow-up votes were recorded in the meeting minutes.
The council's approval came under agenda item 5 and passed 4-0.

