Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Sudan Humanitarian topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

U.N. warns of rising malnutrition and disease in Darfur as funding gaps persist

5233272 · July 7, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

U.N. humanitarian partners report acute malnutrition among children in El Fashar, rising cholera cases in Darfur and that Sudan's 2025 humanitarian plan is just 21% funded.

U.N. humanitarian officials said this week that residents remaining in the besieged city of El Fashar face extreme shortages of food and clean water, and that nearly 38% of children under age 5 in the area are suffering from acute malnutrition.

This matters because malnutrition, damaged water and sanitation infrastructure, and low vaccination coverage increase the risk of disease outbreaks and famine in a region already affected by prolonged conflict.

A joint assessment by humanitarian partners and local authorities found 38% of children under five in El Fashar suffer acute malnutrition, including 11% with severe acute malnutrition, the spokesperson said. Humanitarian partners reported last week more than 300 suspected cholera cases and over two dozen deaths in South Darfur alone; so far this year local authorities have reported more than 32,000 suspected cholera cases across Sudan. The U.N. 2025 humanitarian response plan for Sudan is seeking $4.2 billion to help about 21 million people; the plan is 21% funded, with approximately $896 million in the bank to date.

Ending: The U.N. urged all parties to protect civilians and enable safe, sustained humanitarian access while appealing for donors to convert pledges into funding and to increase contributions immediately.