Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Police Accountability Rampart topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
LAPD outlines Board of Inquiry findings and criminal probe progress in public briefing; report due March 1
Summary
LAPD leaders briefed the City Council on the internal Board of Inquiry into the Rampart matter and the separate criminal investigation into officer Rafael Perez. The department said the Board of Inquiry report will be finalized by March 1 and described recommendations including improved screening, risk-management and integrity measures.
Get email alerts on the Police Accountability Rampart topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Los Angeles Police Department leaders told the City Council they will release a Board of Inquiry report on the Rampart matter on or before March 1 and described a continuing criminal investigation into misconduct that the department said began in April 1998.
Chief Parks (LAPD) and senior investigators briefed the council on the administrative Board of Inquiry and the criminal task force. Chief Parks said the board was "given a precept to look into all of the department issues and systems" and emphasized the board's administrative scope separate from the criminal probe.
Commander Dan Schatz and other task force leaders described the criminal investigation. Commander Schatz said investigators have identified 57 cases that former officer Rafael Perez specifically referenced as involving misconduct; the department said those cases could involve about 99 suspects and that investigators had interviewed more than 60 people so far. The criminal task force was reported to have had about 30 detectives assigned to it and, together with internal affairs work, roughly 50 officers working investigative matters associated with the Rampart probe.
The Board of Inquiry examined hiring, screening, supervisory practice, specialized units and operational controls. The chiefs told the council they found systemic problems in testing and screening, personnel practices, supervision, internal investigations capacity and unit oversight. Chief Parks said the board's work identified more than 100 recommendations; among the items discussed publicly were:
- strengthened screening and testing for applicants, including a proposal that applicants be polygraphed; - enhanced financial and background checks and record-keeping of psychological evaluations; - creation or expansion of integrity and audit functions within internal affairs and upgrades to risk-management and case-tracking systems; - review and changes to the management and oversight of specialized enforcement units and a proposed return to a 1 sergeant per 7 officer supervision ratio in some places; - proposals for a "major case" morning-watch detective presence to secure scenes of serious incidents.
Chief Parks and other presenters said many recommended changes are already being implemented operationally while the full Board of Inquiry report is finalized and that additional working committees will continue to study outstanding items.
Commanders described the criminal task force's work tracing narcotics thefts and other alleged crimes tied to Perez's activities. Chief Pomeroy and Commander Schatz said Perez initially disclosed the extent of his acts after confronting possible sentences; investigators have worked to identify defendants who may have been improperly prosecuted and to seek writs and recourse from the district attorney to remove or correct convictions and custodial orders where appropriate. The chiefs said the premature public release of transcripts and materials has jeopardized aspects of ongoing criminal work and complicated witness protection and prosecution strategy.
Councilmembers pressed department leaders on the potential breadth of the problem, the role of supervisory failure and the department's past adoption of Christopher Commission recommendations. Several councilmembers urged regular public updates. Councilmember Ridley-Thomas moved that the council schedule regular open-session briefings and invited the inspector general to present; the transcript records a second for that motion and subsequent council discussion indicated the council intends to receive regular report-backs, though a formal recorded roll call on that motion is not shown in the public briefing transcript.
Why it matters: department leaders said the findings point to broad changes in hiring, supervision and internal oversight that the department and the council will need to address. The criminal investigation continues; the chiefs said both administrative and criminal follow-up will proceed in parallel because of the scale and timeline of prosecutions and administrative processing.
Next steps: LAPD said the Board of Inquiry report will be made public on or before March 1; the department and council members agreed to further public briefings and to involve the inspector general and civilian oversight in reviewing the report and implementing its recommendations.

