Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Council Procedure And Litigation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City Council rejects proposed settlement 13-0; advances multiple consent items and schedules continuances
Summary
After returning from closed session, the Los Angeles City Council voted 13-0 to reject a proposed settlement agreement and advanced several consent items, while setting continuances for two agenda items to July 30, 2025.
Get email alerts on the Council Procedure And Litigation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Los Angeles City Council on June 25, 2025 rejected a proposed settlement agreement and moved forward with a package of consent items, continuing two items to July 30, 2025 and setting several others for separate votes.
The motion to reject the settlement was offered after the council returned from closed session. An unidentified council member said, “Yo yo propongo que se rechace el el oferta del el del acuerdo extrajudicial.” The council then opened the vote and the tally was 13 in favor, 0 opposed.
The rejection followed earlier procedural action on the meeting agenda. Councilmember (Member) Hernández moved to adopt the APLCE (Arts, Parks, Libraries, Culture and Equity) committee report with an amendment, to call items 8, 19, 20 and 29 for separate votes, and to continue items 11 and 34 for one month. Hernández told the chamber she wanted item 11 and item 34 continued to the councils first meeting after the recess on July 30, 2025.
The council clerk identified a set of items available for immediate vote, including items 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12 through 18, 21 through 23, 27 and 28. The meeting record shows the council opened, closed and tabulated votes on the listed items during the session; individual roll-call tallies were not fully recorded in the public transcript for every line item in the consent package.
Council members also discussed agenda scheduling and special calls. At the start of the meeting the clerk announced several continuances: one item was continued to June 27, 2025 and another, item 47, was continued to August 6, 2025. The clerk noted that items 30 through 46 had already received public hearings or were otherwise not open for the current public comment period, and that items 47 through 49 related to closed-session matters.
The meeting returned to open session after the closed session with the councils full membership present; the clerk stated no action had been taken during the closed session prior to the motion to reject the settlement. The settlement referenced in council discussion was identified in the meeting record as a litigation matter captioned in the transcript as Jeffrey Free (et al.) v. City of Los Angeles.
Next steps: the council set continuances and separate-vote calls as described; the July 30, 2025 return date was established as the first regular meeting following the legislative recess.
Votes at a glance
- Motion to reject proposed settlement agreement (case captioned in the meeting record as Jeffrey Free v. City of Los Angeles): motion carried, vote 13-0 in favor of rejection. - Motion by Councilmember Hernández to adopt the APLCE committee report with amendment, to call items 8, 19, 20 and 29 for separate vote, and to continue items 11 and 34 to July 30, 2025: moved by Councilmember Hernández; second not specified in the transcript; outcome recorded in the meeting flow as adopted for agenda processing and scheduling of separate votes and continuances.
(Individual roll-call tallies for each listed consent item were not fully specified in the public transcript provided.)

