Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Contracts Procurement Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Prince George’s County committee approves multi‑year contract package as amended, strips Motorola and three other vendors
Summary
On May 8, 2025, the Government Operations and Fiscal Policy Committee of Prince George’s County voted 4‑0 to approve resolution CR 44‑2025 as amended, removing four vendor contracts including Motorola from the FY2026 multi‑year contract package.
Get email alerts on the Contracts Procurement Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
On May 8, 2025, the Government Operations and Fiscal Policy Committee of Prince George’s County voted 4‑0 to approve resolution CR 44‑2025 as amended, a measure that submits a package of FY2026 multi‑year contracts exceeding $500,000 to the County Council. The committee struck four contracts from the package — Aon Risk Services of America, Stryker, HIL Group and Motorola — before approving the remainder of the contracts.
The vote finalizes a package the County Executive submitted under County Code section 10‑105 and Charter section 8‑19, which require council review of multi‑year contracts above specified thresholds. Committee members and administration staff discussed contracting details, minority business enterprise numbers, and whether one contract on the list had already been signed before council review. Committee members also pressed administration witnesses about the consequences for public safety technology if a Motorola maintenance contract lapses.
Mister Tutt, a committee staff member, described the measure at the start of the discussion: "CR 44 20 25 is a resolution approving certain FY 2026 multi year contracts exceeding an aggregate of $500,000 for goods and services." Miss Skinner of the County Executive’s office said the administration had provided the committee with "all of the 26 contracts" originally requested and that removing two specific contracts from draft 2A would reduce the number requiring a council approval to 24. She also noted the administration provided an "explainer for every contract regarding the consequences if not approved."
Council members pressed the administration about several items. Council Member Burrows raised the Motorola maintenance contract and whether Motorola would accept a one‑year arrangement; administration staff said Motorola negotiated a five‑year maintenance contract and has structured pricing and service levels based on that term. The administration said a state grant covers roughly $20,000,000 of the Motorola-related costs. Director McBride (Homeland Security) warned of technical and operational impacts if a replacement agreement were not in place after June 30: "After June 30, we would lose, our records management system, our computer aided dispatch system," and later the committee heard from Director Gill that, without current systems and licenses, "the radio network would turn into just walkie talkies. We'd have no technology associated to them."
Committee members also raised procurement procedure concerns after Miss Skinner said at least one contract in the package had already been signed to begin March 20, 2025. The acting County Attorney told the committee she needed to review charter provisions but said "without county council approving it, it's not enforceable." Committee members requested additional review and indicated they would seek information about why a contract was signed before the council vote.
After discussion, Council Member Burrows moved to amend CR 44 to remove the Motorola, Aon Risk Services of America, Stryker and the HIL Group contracts; the motion was seconded and carried on a roll call (motion to amend carried 4‑0). The committee then voted to approve CR 44 as amended; that final motion also passed 4‑0.
Clarifying details provided during the meeting included an administration staff estimate of "additional expenditures of approximately 101,700,000.0 in fiscal year 2026" for the package as originally drafted; Miss Skinner said removing two contracts from draft 2A would leave 24 contracts seeking a favorable recommendation. The administration also said the Scribe contract (Fire/EMS) was being removed from draft 2A and would have a revised, lower fiscal note if reintroduced.
The committee asked the Office of Law and administration to provide records and legal analysis about the contract that staff said had already been signed and to clarify MBE (minority business enterprise) numbers for Concentra. Committee members and administration staff said they expect continued conversations with Motorola and with the incoming County Executive's transition team; the incoming county executive is scheduled to be sworn in on Juneteenth and committee leadership said they expect Motorola to meet with the new administration to avoid service lapses.
Votes at a glance - Motion to amend CR 44 (strike Aon Risk Services of America, Stryker, HIL Group and Motorola): carried 4‑0. - Motion to approve CR 44 as amended: carried 4‑0.
The committee adjourned after completing the votes. The County Council will receive CR 44 as amended for further action.
