Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

LAPD reports mixed crime trends, describes officer-involved shootings and homicide probes

3217645 · May 7, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

At the May 6 Los Angeles Board of Police Commissioners meeting, LAPD Chief McDonald provided a crime update showing declines in overall crime and homicides but higher counts in some person-crime categories; he described recent officer-involved shootings and ongoing administrative and criminal investigations.

Los Angeles Police Department Chief McDonald told the Board of Police Commissioners on May 6 that overall city crime was down over a recent four‑week period but that some violent categories and officer‑involved incidents had risen.

In an opening summary, Chief McDonald said May is “law enforcement appreciation month” and that the department would observe National Police Week. He then reviewed specific incidents and statistical trends, including two officer‑involved shootings and multiple homicide investigations.

Why it matters: The chief’s update both reassured the commission about longer‑term drops in homicides and raised questions about recent increases in some person crimes and the department’s response or follow‑up in certain locations. Commissioners asked for administrative follow‑ups on earlier responses and for clarification about state oversight.

Chief McDonald described an April 23 incident in Southeast patrol: officers attempted a traffic stop of a suspect wanted for child abduction, who fled and was pursued onto a freeway ramp. The suspect, identified in the report as Osman Brezinho, exited his vehicle with a red and gray backpack. Officers repeatedly ordered him not to reach into the backpack; he then ran and an officer‑involved shooting occurred. The chief reported Brezinho was taken to a hospital, booked on unrelated charges and outstanding warrants, and that no officers or community members were injured. He said no firearm was located at the scene and the backpack was booked as evidence. Force Investigation Division is investigating.

On May 3 the chief said Southeast officers responded to a reported domestic violence assault at a residence; officers found a suspect, later identified as Shamar Bennett, armed with an AR‑style CO2‑powered rifle. An officer‑involved shooting struck Bennett in the lower right leg; four other people inside the residence were safely removed. The rifle was recovered and booked as evidence. Force Investigation Division investigators are also leading that inquiry.

Chief McDonald and commissioners also reviewed two homicide investigations that prompted administrative probes into earlier calls and responses. In Van Nuys, officers discovered a resident deceased after building management allowed entry; investigators found signs of a likely homicide and detectives identified a person of interest. The chief said officers had responded to that address twice earlier in the week (April 23 and April 25) and that an administrative investigation was open to examine the handling of the April 23 call.

In Topanga, an initial call on April 26 reporting a battery in progress yielded no apparent disturbance and no contact; officers cleared, and later the same morning a death investigation at that address discovered a homicide victim. Detectives arrested three suspects the same day; the case was presented to the district attorney. The chief said administrative review would evaluate the earlier police response.

The department also described investigative results from its Major Theft Task Force focused on organized burglary crews. The task force reported multiple arrests in residential burglary investigations in Hollywood, Lancaster and adjacent areas, and the recovery of property. The chief said prosecutions are pending and that some suspects were repeat offenders.

Statistical snapshot: For the four‑week period April 6–May 3 compared to the prior four weeks, the department reported a 10.3% drop in combined person and property crimes citywide (877 fewer incidents), driven by a 15% decline in property crimes. The chief said homicides were down 28.8% year to date (30 fewer victims) and shooting victims were down 13.6% year to date (50 fewer victims). He also noted an 8.3% increase in person crimes (143 additional incidents) and a 7.3% rise in robberies (39 more incidents), largely in Olympic and Seventh Division areas; nearly half of robberies (276) were strong‑arm incidents.

Commission response and oversight questions: Commissioners asked whether the California Department of Justice had been notified and whether it would respond to officer‑involved shootings; Chief McDonald said DOJ would generally be informed and the status would be confirmed. Commissioners also pressed for follow‑up on the administrative reviews into the Van Nuys and Topanga responses, asking how officers balance the risk of a false or “swatting” call with the need to check on potentially endangered residents.

Public comment and complaints: During public comment, speakers raised complaints about particular officer conduct, department donations and budgeting, and asked for improved investigation of alleged misconduct. Several callers urged better protection for vulnerable populations, requested civilian staffing levels be restored, and criticized the department’s handling of some controversial incidents.

What’s next: The commission opened administrative investigations into the earlier Van Nuys and Topanga responses and asked staff to report back with status updates; Force Investigation Division continues to investigate officer‑involved shootings. The chief asked the public to report information to aid homicide inquiries and reiterated that investigators are working with federal partners where appropriate.

Ending: The chief closed by providing the department’s personnel numbers — 8,738 sworn and 2,675 civilian staff as of May 5 — and by reiterating the department’s outreach plans for Police Memorial events in May.