Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Healthcare Funding topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Federally qualified health centers urge Prince George’s County to restore Health Assurance funding after proposed cuts

3210782 · May 6, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

At a May 6 public budget hearing, leaders of federally qualified health centers and immigrant-advocacy groups warned that proposed cuts to the countyHealth Assurance program would reduce care for uninsured residents and asked the County Council to restore funding to prior levels.

Leaders of Prince George's County's federally qualified health centers (FQHCs) and immigrant-services groups told the County Council on Tuesday that proposed reductions to the county's Health Assurance program would threaten primary and behavioral health care for uninsured residents.

The Most Newsworthy: Rodrigo Stein, director of health equity and strategic partnerships at La Clnica del Pueblo, told the council the proposed FY26 budget includes a $3,250,000 cut to Health Assurance. Nancy Jimenez, a patient and board member at La Clnica, asked the council to restore the fund to the $4,250,000 level it received last year. Dr. Sonia Bruton, CEO and president of CCI Health Services, said Health Assurance subsidizes roughly half of a medical visit and a third of a dental visit at FQHCs and that further reductions would force clinics to scale back services.

Why it matters: Health Assurance is a county subsidy the Department of Health uses to expand access to primary care for uninsured and low-income residents via local FQHCs. Multiple witnesses said FQHCs collectively provided tens of thousands of subsidized visits in recent years and that cuts would worsen care gaps, raise hospital use and increase long-term costs.

Officials and advocates gave specific figures and impacts. Rodrigo Stein said the FY26 proposal would cut $3.25 million from Health Assurance and described the program as a crucial revenue stream that allows clinics to serve uninsured patients. "The program is already underfunded, and any further reductions would be devastating," Stein said. Nancy Jimenez said the fund enabled her to receive ongoing care for chronic conditions and asked the council to restore Health Assurance to at least $4,250,000, the level she said the program had last year.

Dr. Sonia Bruton of CCI Health Services told the council her organization served 17,650 Prince Georgians last year and that 39 percent of those patients were uninsured. "Without stable funding like Health Assurance, conditions like diabetes go unmanaged which leads to more emergency room visits, longer hospital stays and ultimately higher cost to the county," Bruton said.

Advocacy groups amplified the warning. George Eskobar of CASA, the county's largest immigrant-services organization, urged the council to fund Health Assurance at a minimum of $5,000,000, saying the program is often the only access point for immigrant families and uninsured children. Sharon Zawoski of the Regional Primary Care Coalition said the program subsidized more than 83,000 primary care visits in recent years and warned that sudden cuts could force clinics to reduce services or close.

Council response: Council members acknowledged the pressure. At the hearing, Council Member Begay said the executive's proposed budget currently includes $1,000,000 for Health Assurance, and the council would be weighing whether to supplement that amount. No formal council vote occurred at the hearing.

What's next: Testimony at the hearing asked the council to restore Health Assurance funding to prior levels or higher to avoid interrupting care; the council must finalize the FY26 budget in the coming weeks.