Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Living Shoreline Grant topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council introduces $2.3M living-shoreline grant; resident questions whether cleanup includes private parcel

3195089 · May 6, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Council introduced a $2.3 million federal grant for a living-shoreline project and scheduled a public hearing May 19 after a resident raised concerns that part of the proposed shoreline work appears to be on a privately owned parcel.

The Havre de Grace Mayor and City Council on Monday introduced a budget amendment to receive and allocate $2.3 million in federal grant funds for a living‑shoreline project, and scheduled a public hearing on the measure for May 19. During comments earlier in the meeting, a resident said portions of proposed work appear to be on private property and asked the city to explain ownership and procurement history.

Councilmember Robertson moved the budget amendment (ordinance 11-86) to increase revenue and expenditure lines by $2,300,000 for the federal grant; the motion carried on a 6-0 roll call and the council set a public hearing at its May 19 meeting. Councilmembers said the amendment simply places the grant in the city budget for the project and that a public hearing will provide additional opportunity for public questions.

Resident concerns

Carrie Parsons, a Havre de Grace resident who spoke during the meeting’s public-comment period, raised concerns about the portion of the living‑shoreline work that she says lies on a parcel recorded as Map 601, parcel 463 and that was last listed for sale in 2014. Parsons said the matter appeared to involve multiple agencies and prior actions, and expressed concern that public funds would be used to clean up a privately owned LLC parcel without clear ownership or agreement.

Parsons told the council: “The perception is that we have the city, the citizens, approved a cleanup of a contaminated 1.5 acre lot of a private LLC under the guise of this million dollar plus grant from the National Wildlife.” She asked for further discussion and explanation later in the council meeting.

Next steps and staff notes

The council’s adoption on first reading places the grant in the FY2025 budget; staff told the council the item will return with public‑hearing materials on May 19. At the meeting the deputy director of public works noted a May 15 public planting event connected with the living‑shoreline work and said the city is developing a multi‑year capital plan for water and wastewater infrastructure.

The public hearing will be the next formal opportunity for the council to receive evidence and hear staff explain land ownership, procurement history and how grant funds will be applied to specific parcels. The council and staff did not make further commitments at Monday’s meeting beyond scheduling the public hearing.

Ending

The council’s first‑reading action does not commit funds beyond the budget amendment process. Residents and stakeholders seeking clarification about parcel ownership, grant terms and planned uses of the $2.3 million have an opportunity to raise them at the May 19 public hearing, when the council will hear formal testimony.