Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Dangerous Structure topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Grand Prairie board finds Northeast Grand Prairie home unsafe, orders repairs and July review

3193976 · May 5, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Building Advisory and Appeals Board found an unpermitted carport and multiple unsafe conditions at a Northeast Grand Prairie property, ordered the owner to repair or remove the structures and set a July review; the owner said financial limits and logistical barriers complicate compliance.

The Building Advisory and Appeals Board on Wednesday adopted staff findings that a residence with multiple unpermitted additions at 1622 Rua in northeast Grand Prairie is a dangerous structure and ordered the owner to repair or remove the structures and bring the property into code compliance, with a status update requested at the board's July meeting.

City code compliance staff told the board the property contains several unpermitted additions — including a carport that appears to encroach on a required setback — and unsafe conditions such as rotten floor members, bowing ceilings and exposed electrical wiring. Staff cited the International Residential Code and Grand Prairie Code of Ordinances sections identified in their report when recommending the board issue an order requiring repair or demolition.

Code compliance recommended the structures be repaired, removed or demolished and set a compliance deadline of July 8, 2025, and directed the owner to provide a status update at the board meeting scheduled in early July. Staff told the board the city may, at its discretion, repair, remove or demolish the structures at the owner's expense or assess civil penalties of $1,000 per day for ongoing violations. The city may lien the property for expenses unless the property is a homestead protected by the Texas Constitution.

The property owner, identified at the hearing as Mr. Villareal, spoke through a translator. Villareal said he had attempted to obtain a permit about 18 months earlier and that components of the carport and other work were built with donated materials. He said he is not currently working and does not have funds to remove material or haul demolition debris to the landfill. “I don't have money. I'm not working,” Villareal said through the translator. He asked whether the city could help with removal; staff told him the city could not remove material for him but could allow time for compliance.

Board members asked about the setback and whether a property survey had been provided; staff replied that a variance from the Zoning Board of Adjustment would require a survey proving the structure sits on the owner's property and not the neighbor's. Staff also noted the file contains multiple citations dating back to 2023 and into 2024 for failure to obtain permits and other violations.

After discussion the chair moved to adopt staff's recommended findings and orders, with the owner required to appear at the July board meeting with proof of compliance or permit applications. The motion passed by a vote of 5 to 1.

If the owner does not comply, staff told the board the city may assess civil penalties, perform the work at the owner's expense, and lien the property. The board's order also informs interested parties that they may choose to demolish structures at their own risk to avoid a city lien.

The board's action on the 1622 Rua property followed staff presentations of photographs and inspection findings documenting structural rot, exposed wiring and unpermitted additions.