Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Sudan Violence Port Sudan topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

UN warns drone strikes near Port Sudan threaten humanitarian hub; air operations paused temporarily

3193858 · May 6, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The UN said recent drone strikes near Port Sudan Airport, reportedly by the Rapid Support Forces, threaten civilian protection and have led to a temporary pause in some humanitarian air services while the situation is assessed.

The United Nations expressed concern about recent drone attacks on military and civilian infrastructure in the vicinity of Port Sudan Airport, which the briefing described as the UN’s humanitarian hub for coordinating aid operations across Sudan. The spokesperson said the strikes were reportedly carried out by the Rapid Support Forces and appear to be part of a pattern of retaliatory operations between the Rapid Support Forces and the Sudanese Armed Forces.

The UN spokesperson said these strikes “threaten the protection of civilians and humanitarian operations in an area so far spared from experiencing the devastating conflict seen in many other parts of the country.” None of the UN offices, premises or warehouses in Port Sudan have been impacted so far, the spokesperson said, but UN humanitarian air service flights to and from Port Sudan have been temporarily put on hold while OCHA assesses the situation and the impact on the UN’s ability to move supplies and staff.

The briefing did not report a firm timeline for resuming humanitarian aviation or provide operational contingencies beyond continued assessment by OCHA. Ending: The UN called for urgent dialogue between parties to prevent further escalation and to protect civilians and humanitarian operations in Sudan.